On Tweeds, Ethics & Sustainability

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

dopey

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 pm

The organic label heralds the promise of carrying 25th century prices on 17th century technique.
SV

Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 pm

:) I'm not sure what do you mean to say, but I'm an admirer of 17th century. Who would surpass Rembrandt or Rubens in technique?! I Hope that prices in 25th century will not be in their sphere, though.

SV
India Mail

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Dear SV and other Gentlemen,

For advice that has taken so long to supply, I am sorry this is so short. However, I am pleased to report that www.vintageshirt.co.uk will make up their shirts in an organic, un-bleached, fair trade, cotton, that meets the usual ethical criteria. Naturally, there is a premium to be paid, but I felt the resulting smugness and aid to the U.K.'s manufacturing industry worth it. The shirts are made at Rayner & Sturgess. The cloth is a cream colour, but was bleached to the usual standard in the shirts' first wash in Persil Non-Bio. I am very happy with them.

Please contact the Vintage Shirt Co. for more information, (info 'at' vintageshirt.co.uk). Thanks so much to Marcelo, esq., for his superior 'search' skills, and retrieving this thread for me.
radicaldog

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Excellent news, India Mail. I can't seem to find the shirt your refer to on the website, though. Does one need to contact the firm directly?
India Mail

Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:45 pm

Dear Radical Dog,

Sorry for the ambiguity. I buy the Victorian model, sh160:

http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/show_item ... s&aspect=p

These are the type I had made in the fair trade cotton. However, the owner will make any of her range in this cotton if you ask, she told me, price on application. Modern styles are stocked; I hope something catches your eye:

http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/list_shirts.php
  • Information