London Shoe Repairs

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Jason

Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good cobbler in London?

I don't mind if it is a heel bar, but I just don't want to suffer at the hands of Timpson's again, since they are hugely variable and have ruined as many shoes of mine as they've done perfectly.

I am particularly keen to find someone who has respect for the original shape and curve of the shoe, and who can keep the sole suitably fitted to the upper, as I find the wide, visible Goodyear welt stitching unattractive.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with James Shoe Care based in Canary Wharf? I work there, so if, perchance, they were any good, that would be perfect. Otherwise, someone in the SE would be ideal for me if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Jason
carl browne

Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:30 am

I've had terrible trouble with shoe repairs over the years. Shoes just never look the same after resoling. It finally occurred to me that most of the better shoemakers will resole their shoes for you using the original lasts and materials. It isn't particularly quick or cheap, but the shoes come out perfect--possibly better than new, since the shoes retain their comfort and patina.
Bishop of Briggs

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:24 pm

http://www.mayfaircobblers.co.uk/page1.aspx

Truly excellent - quick and affordable. Used by designer and celebrity customers too.
ignatius_j_reilly

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Jason wrote:Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good cobbler in London?
I gave up on having shoes re-soled by cobblers a long time ago after having one too many pairs (specifically a lovely pair of brown Foster & Sons brogues) ruined by poor handiwork. I now only send them back to the original maker. IIRC, Church and Cheaney cost about £85 for a re-sole and re-heel and a bit of a general tidy-up. The turnaround is about a month. The extra expense and hassle is worth it IMHO.
Cufflink79

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Taking the shoes back to the original maker is the best way to repair your footwear. They know how the shoe should look and what last to use. If you go bespoke such as Lobb, Foster & Son, and Edward Green to name a few they will use the last they made up for you.

In the United States the only two shoe makers left in this country are Allen Edmonds and Alden, both offer re-crafting services. I'm currently having my tassel loafers from Alden being worked on by them. When I get them back I'll let you know how they turned out.

Last summer I sent off my Allen Edmonds suede shoes to be re-crafted, they found a tear in the suede that wasn't able to be fixed, and since they weren't making that model anymore I was able to pick a new pair of shoes from that particular price range.

Alden: http://www.aldenshoe.com/pro_res.htm

Allen Edmonds: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/Re ... 0000000001

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
  • Information