Bespoke Shirts: London

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Minion Lawyer

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Gentlemen,

This is my first post on the London Lounge after perhaps a month of reading its threads with interest. I hope you will all forgive me for any breach of etiquette that I might commit. I greatly enjoy the atmosphere of the London Lounge and would not wish to detract from it in any way.

In essence, I have decided that I wish to purchase some bespoke shirts. This will be my first foray into the world of bespoke clothing, but I am not yet ready to order a suit and I enjoy wearing shirts every day. Correspondingly, I have decided that it is now time to begin purchase shirts that actually fit me.

I have decided to purchase from a local shirtmaker, if at all possible, and wished to solicit any guidance, recommendations or suggestions that you might all have to offer. The two shirtmaker's I am currently considering are New & Lingwood and Sean O'Flynn. These choices are based on the facts that they will each allow me to order a single shirt to begin with, are within my price boundary (with only the mildest of winces before paying) and I have not heard any criticisms of their work.

Does anyone have a particular recommendation between the two, an alternative suggestion, or any broader comments on points for me to consider when selecting the style and fabric of my first shirt?

Many thanks for any assistance you are able to provide.

Michael
Frog in Suit

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Well, it is a bit difficult since, as it happens, N & L shirts are made by none other than Sean O'Flynn, who used to be their in-house head of bespoke shirts. You would get essentially the same product, with possibly a difference in price, and (probably) more choice as to materials from Sean O'Flynn. But I think you cannot go wrong with either.

Frog in Suit
Frog in Suit

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Oh, and I forgot to say: Welcome!

Frog in Suit
DD MacDonald

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm

I've worked with Michael Blackwell at N&L who is very charming. Have fun. DDM
alden

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I will be making an announcement in the next few days so stay tuned

Cheers

Michael Alden
Minion Lawyer

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:30 am

Thank you all for your helpful observations and advice. I look forward to Mr Alden's announcement in a few days time!
JRLT

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:37 am

I am a customer of Sean O'Flynn and thoroughy recommend him. He comes up for discussion from time to time on this forum and I believe that all posters have been favourable.

For a cheaper alternative you could also try Mangas (Spanish for "sleeves" - they are ultimately a Spanish company) who have two shops in the City. I recommend them also but subjcet to the these caveats: 1. the quality of the cloth does not compare to the cloth available at Sean O'Flynn, and 2. the collar stiffeners are sewn in but not well sewn in. After a while they always become loose and float about inside the collar. For these reasons I use them for casual button-downs only and I find them fine for this purpose.
Scot

Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:34 pm

I would echo the praise for Sean O'Flynn.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of Russel and Hodge. (And does anyone know anything about the tailor who has a shop just along the road from them?)
  • Information