Inspired by a "very practical coat"

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

yialabis

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Blue is good, I like blue too, it suits me and it is practical. But so is this brown herringbone. I can wear it on either buttons and as you can see it looks different when you change button. No special request made .

Vassilis
JDelage

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:00 am

Yes, I can see how brown herringbone would be very versatile.

Do you 2 levels of buttons on the inside too? Just curious... :)
yialabis

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:11 am

Nope ..Just one .
jruley

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Here's mine:

It's being worn over a shirt, so is a bit loose in back and around the shoulders.

Regards,

Jim Ruley
Sator

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 am

May I extend out a laurel Jim, and say that is a lovely overcoat. It's a beautiful colour and I love the lapel style, the velvet collar and the functional buttonholes down the lapels. We share too many interests to continue our feuds. So let's let bygones be bygones.

Regards
Sator
storeynicholas

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47 am

Sator - Maybe, laurels for the coat and an olive branch for the peace? It is a great coat - and individual and distinctive.
NJS
Sator

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:52 am

storeynicholas wrote:Sator - Maybe, laurels for the coat and an olive branch for the peace? It is a great coat - and individual and distinctive.
NJS
Yes, I meant an olive branch :oops:

Sometimes historic styles can be so old that they are new again. That is a good example.
storeynicholas

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:06 am

Sator - I am looking forward to the spec for your evening coat.
NJS
angelo

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Sator wrote
May I extend out a laurel Jim, and say that is a lovely overcoat. It's a beautiful colour and I love the lapel style, the velvet collar and the functional buttonholes down the lapels
I completely agree. In my opininion (I do not know if this is a bespoke OC) it could have appeared more elegant having the pockets a bit higher i.e. at the height of the inferior line of buttons.

Angelo
jruley

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:32 pm

I do not know if this is a bespoke OC
Well, it's made from a custom pattern, but I did my own tailoring. So you could call it "self-bespoke", or "custom homemade", or even "folk art" I suppose...
it could have appeared more elegant having the pockets a bit higher i.e. at the height of the inferior line of buttons
The pockets were placed for an easy and natural reach. They might have looked better placed a little higher.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Costi

Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:28 am

It is the first time that I see side vents on an overcoat. Was this in the original pattern, or a variation that you decided to make yourself?
jruley

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:05 am

Costi wrote:It is the first time that I see side vents on an overcoat. Was this in the original pattern, or a variation that you decided to make yourself?
It's mostly for practical reasons. This coat is mostly worn driving to and from work, and I have never liked the way a long coat tends to bunch up under the seat. With the side vents, there is a wide center panel that is easy to adjust, and the remainder of the skirt drapes naturally over the knees.
Costi

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:28 am

I see, thanks for clarifying. I am tempted to ask what car model you are driving that requires an overcoat to be worn, but I suppose it would not be a serious question :wink: It is quite a particular coat.
jruley

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:03 am

Costi wrote:I see, thanks for clarifying. I am tempted to ask what car model you are driving that requires an overcoat to be worn, but I suppose it would not be a serious question :wink: It is quite a particular coat.
No, actually the heater works fine. However, I would cut a rather inelegant figure struggling to put the coat on in the parking lot at work for the walk to the office :D

We've had an unusually cold January here in Ohio, so the coat was finished just in time.
Costi

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:26 am

Oh, I get that situation a lot, as well. This is why my overcoats get "worn" quite a bit hanging over the arm... Perhaps I should have them cut with that in mind :)
  • Information