Frank Shattuck Bespoke Suit

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

novice

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:30 pm

aportnoy wrote:
novice wrote:
aportnoy wrote: It's a 14oz older Lesser cloth that frank had lying around and I grabbed.
Thank you aportnoy. How do you find the 14 oz weight given airconditioning, etc. Does it get too warm or is its use restricted to 3 motnhs of the year?
I willw ear this in NYC in all but the warmest months. So no June, July August and much of September.
I was a little to consider 14 oz weights for a flannel suit I am contemplating but your case gives me new inspiration
manton

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 pm

I really think you are going to find that suit difficult to wear in spring/fall, unless the day is abnormally cold. Flannel wears much warmner than worsted, even at lighter weights. I have a newish 14 ounce flannel suit, and it is by far the warmest suit I own. Warmer than heavier worsteds.
aportnoy

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Yes, but I'm a vampire.
novice

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 pm

manton wrote:I really think you are going to find that suit difficult to wear in spring/fall, unless the day is abnormally cold. Flannel wears much warmner than worsted, even at lighter weights. I have a newish 14 ounce flannel suit, and it is by far the warmest suit I own. Warmer than heavier worsteds.
Manton, how many months in a year do you see yourself wearing the suit?
manton

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:58 pm

novice wrote:
manton wrote:I really think you are going to find that suit difficult to wear in spring/fall, unless the day is abnormally cold. Flannel wears much warmner than worsted, even at lighter weights. I have a newish 14 ounce flannel suit, and it is by far the warmest suit I own. Warmer than heavier worsteds.
Manton, how many months in a year do you see yourself wearing the suit?
Not being a vampire, I could only wear that suit when the high temp was below 40. So, four at most.
HappyStroller

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:26 pm

Oops! I was considering using only either cashmere or flannel for my suits from now on because of Etutee's latest wonderful post on formal and semi-formal dress, etc., because these softer fabrics are supposedly much more suitable for drape, but also not being a Vampire, ... oh, dear ...

Or will cashmere be more suitable for Spring/Autumn and Summer, too, dear Manton?
...<snip>...
Not being a vampire, I could only wear that suit when the high temp was below 40. So, four at most.
novice

Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:39 am

While we are discussing flannel suits, what might be the experience of forum members with lighter flannels such as Holland and Sherry Viceroy 11 oz weights or other similarly lighter weights in spring/fall?
Concordia

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:03 am

I have an 11.5oz flannel suit that I sometimes wear in the evenings. It's not super-heated, but reacts badly to humidity. Even a cool day (50s) that is really drizzling or misting can make it uncomfortable when I move inside.

I've never tried a 10oz woolen flannel, although there are some gorgeous ones out there.
novice

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:53 am

A 10 oz flannel, or for that matter even an 11 oz flannel, raises the issues of durability as well as maintaining shape, given the nature of this particular fabric, I would say
Will

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:17 pm

I have a couple of 12 ounce Golden Bale flannels that I find wear comfortably up to 70 degrees f.
dufossat

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:56 pm

This suit looks great and I think 14 oz is a very practical weight. I have two DBs in 15/16 oz Minnis cloth and do not find them appreciably warmer than my other suits. Most of my suits, however, are 16 oz, and I do not own anything lighter than 13 oz.

I think cloth weight is very much a personal thing and driven by lifestyle. Although I live in the Deep South, most of my Spring and Summer workdays are spent in my air conditioned office. The only time I come close to feeling the weight of my suits is inside in the Winter when I have to fight to keep the thermostate at a reasonable setting.
alden

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:04 pm

I knew there was a picture of a suit in Donkey flannel...here it is

The color seems to mix greens, grays, browns and violet. There are alot of ways to go with a color like this as a base.

Michael
RWS

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:34 pm

alden wrote:I knew there was a picture of a suit in Donkey flannel...here it is . . . .
No picture is visible, Michael.
alden

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Its at the beginning of the thread

• Information