Rubinacci shirts

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Bishop of Briggs

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:26 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:
Frog in Suit wrote:The price you mention for a shirt is certainly very high. N & L bespoke is less than £ 200 a shirt. As to SR suits, they can be had for less. Mine cost me about £ 2,200 for a two-piece, £ 2.600 for a three-piece.

Frog in Suit
The prices I quoted above are inclusive of VAT (at the exact UK rate of 17.5 %). I have no experience of other shirtmakers or tailors beyond the ones whose names I mention. I will not comment on any makers except from direct personal experience.

Frog in Suit
Good value! May I ask why you have your shirts and suits made in London rather than Paris?
tteplitzmd

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:50 pm

["quote="mafoofan"]^^^ . In my opinion, the final price of the product and its relative quality should be indicative in and of itself of the value you're getting. " quote mafoofan

viz. a poor value
Frog in Suit

Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:20 am

Bishop of Briggs wrote:
Frog in Suit wrote:
Frog in Suit wrote:The price you mention for a shirt is certainly very high. N & L bespoke is less than £ 200 a shirt. As to SR suits, they can be had for less. Mine cost me about £ 2,200 for a two-piece, £ 2.600 for a three-piece.

Frog in Suit
The prices I quoted above are inclusive of VAT (at the exact UK rate of 17.5 %). I have no experience of other shirtmakers or tailors beyond the ones whose names I mention. I will not comment on any makers except from direct personal experience.

Frog in Suit
Good value! May I ask why you have your shirts and suits made in London rather than Paris?
You may well ask :wink: !

1) Anglophilia and an abiding faith in SR and Jermyn Street and their style/cut.
2) Have you ever priced Charvet (Nothing against Charvet; I have no doubt that they produce superb quality)? I think I read on one of the fora that Smalto made-to-measure starts at € 5,000 and I do not even like their style/cut....If you look around and pick traditional heavier cloths (or good poplins for shirts), you can find excellent value in or around SR/Jermyn Street. I am not rich :( .

Frog in Suit

PS: I just found out that Acorn, since this thread is ostensibly about shirts, have a new web site: http://www.acornfabrics.co.uk/

Frog in Suit
Sator

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:08 am

L'Anglomanie in dress - oh, what a quintessentially French trait that is!

Prior to the French Revolution, the court styles of Versailles dominated in both men and women's fashion. After the Revolution, the Frenchman would have rather dressed like an Englishman in his redingote than a Versailles aristocrat (especially if he valued his head).

So, deeply torn by it though he was, the well dressed Frenchman cast aside l'habite à la Française and took to wearing English styles:

Soon Anglomanie swept Europe, and on reaching Germany, the more conservative types there poured scorn on it as the invasion of a French novelty.

You still find polo boots and cricket bats at the Polo Mansion on Madison Ave. Oddly enough, it is really a French innovation, and a product of the far reaching social implications of the French Revolution!
charle22

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:28 am

Concordia wrote:Do Stephen Lachter or his services travel to the US with Norton?

Likewise, has anyone recently tried to get access to Sean O'Flynn's shirts via N&L or Huntsman? For those of us who don't get to London really often, that may be the most practical way to buy.
Recently, I contacted H. Huntsmans with inquiry. Here's their reply:

Unfortunately Mr O'Flynn will not travel to the US; however, we at Huntsman
do travel to the US a few times each year and we can have our cutter take
your measurements and details which will then be passed on to Mr O'Flynn in
order to make you a shirt. Our next trip will be in October this year. The
minimum shirt order is only one, and we require full payment upon order.
Our range of cottons is varied and vast, and our introductory price for a
white cotton shirt starts at £175.

The bare essentials of shirt making are fairly straightforward, requiring
your measurements and four weeks for delivery. As you must already be
aware, Mr O'Flynn is an exceptional shirt maker, who works to the highest
degree of excellence. His services, coupled with ours at H. Huntsman &
Sons, will no doubt meet your requirements.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us,
either by return e-mail, by telephone, or by facsimile; the details are
below.

We look forward to your custom.

Yours sincerely
Frog in Suit

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 am

Sator wrote:L'Anglomanie in dress - oh, what a quintessentially French trait that is!
:D :oops:

Frog in Suit
Concordia

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:20 am

charle22 wrote:
Concordia wrote:Do Stephen Lachter or his services travel to the US with Norton?

Likewise, has anyone recently tried to get access to Sean O'Flynn's shirts via N&L or Huntsman? For those of us who don't get to London really often, that may be the most practical way to buy.
Recently, I contacted H. Huntsmans with inquiry. Here's their reply:

Unfortunately Mr O'Flynn will not travel to the US; however, we at Huntsman
do travel to the US a few times each year and we can have our cutter take
your measurements and details which will then be passed on to Mr O'Flynn in
order to make you a shirt. Our next trip will be in October this year. The
minimum shirt order is only one, and we require full payment upon order.
Our range of cottons is varied and vast, and our introductory price for a
white cotton shirt starts at £175.

The bare essentials of shirt making are fairly straightforward, requiring
your measurements and four weeks for delivery. As you must already be
aware, Mr O'Flynn is an exceptional shirt maker, who works to the highest
degree of excellence. His services, coupled with ours at H. Huntsman &
Sons, will no doubt meet your requirements.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us,
either by return e-mail, by telephone, or by facsimile; the details are
below.

We look forward to your custom.

Yours sincerely
Into the mouth of the lion. Thanks for your intrepid research.

Good thing about the "introductory" price-- without it, I suppose we'd be starting at £200 or more.
gmludlow

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 pm

rjman wrote: I've heard good things about David Gale at Dunhill, but I have no personal experience.
But soon to be leaving Dunhill who are planning to outsource production
Bishop of Briggs

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:42 am

gmludlow wrote:
rjman wrote: I've heard good things about David Gale at Dunhill, but I have no personal experience.
But soon to be leaving Dunhill who are planning to outsource production
That's typical of Dunhill. The Jermyn Street store is full of snooty foreign salesmen who know nothing about clothes. Kilgour is the same.
ykh

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:21 am

Bespoke Smalto shirt starts at EUR 600 and the quality and style is very similar to Charvet. Arnys at EUR 550 each has hand stichings around the sleaves, just ike Rubinnacci.

I am tempted try Rubinacci for suits and shirts and would certainly interested to know more from those who have tried it.
JRLT

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 am

It looks as if the "introductory price" includes Huntsman's mark-up. I have never paid more than £160 for one of Sean's shirts (recently up from £155) whatever the fabric. So it seems that Huntsman are taking a £15 cut.

btw, Sean is moving next door to 6 Sackville Street, but his phone number etc. remain the same.
Frog in Suit

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:17 pm

JRLT wrote:
btw, Sean is moving next door to 6 Sackville Street, but his phone number etc. remain the same.
His web site does not reflect that. Does that mean that he is moving in with Meyer & Mortimer/Jones Chalk & Dawson? As if one needed the extra temptation.... :roll:

Frog in Suit
  • Information