Chester Barrie

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

sweetbooness

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:34 am

Does anyone know if Chester Barrie is still available anywhere in the New York or DC area? Do they make visits to the US for mtm ? My requests for information to them have not yet been answered.
Trey

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:28 pm

I have purchased Chester Barrie clothes from Ben Silver during visits to Charleston, SC. They no longer seem to carry Ben Silver.

Trey
Trey

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Oops! I meant they seemingly no longer carry Chester Barrie.

Trey
Cufflink79

Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Dear Sweetbooness:

Try Saks in NYC, it has been a while since I've been there but I remember they had an area for Chester Barrie suits.

As for Washington D.C., I think Saks would be a safe bet as well.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Mark Seitelman

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:22 pm

Cufflink79 wrote:Dear Sweetbooness:

Try Saks in NYC, it has been a while since I've been there but I remember they had an area for Chester Barrie suits.

As for Washington D.C., I think Saks would be a safe bet as well.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
It must be about 10 years ago when Saks NYC had a dedicated selling area for Chester Barrie.

Barneys used to sell Chester Barrie.

Both no longer carry the brand.

Turnbull & Asser NYC used to have Chester Barrie make its MTM suits. I heard some rumors that T & A NYC now makes its MTM with Martin Greenfield!
rjman

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Chester Barrie has gone through a number of deaths and rebirths recently. For the last several years the manufacturing arm of Chester Barrie has been separated from the Chester Barrie brand and shop. The manufacturing arm is now known as Cheshire Bespoke and is owned by MTM tailor Tony Lutwyche. It supplies the Chester Barrie shop and many of the accounts of the former Chester Barrie, such as Turnbull & Asser and Huntsman. It was making RTW for Hield a few years ago, and that was sold in Saks and in DC at Everett's, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Several years ago the Saks at Mazza Gallerie in DC was selling a line of own-label suits with the notation on the label "Hand Tailored in England". Those were made by Cheshire Bespoke. I do not know if Saks is still selling such suits. Bear in mind that most Saks own-label suits would not be made by Cheshire Bespoke.

You could alternatively go to Turnbull & Asser in NYC; their RTW tailoring is made by Cheshire Bespoke (at least, it probably still is), at least that which is not made in Italy.

I don't think you will find Chester Barrie MTM anywhere in the US, except maybe at Bergdorf under the guise of Spencer Hart "bespoke". Cheshire Bespoke was making for the Spencer Hart label; at one point the designer visited once a month for "bespoke" -- however Bergdorf changes flavors of the month pretty frequently.
sweetbooness

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm

Thank you gentlemen for your responses.
pemazel

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Occasionally Chester Barrie "handmade in England' is for sale at yoox.com.

P.
VRaivio

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm lifting this old topic as my question suits it best.

What's the latest word on Chester Barrie? I know their Chester by Chester Barrie line is rubbish, but do they still make those wonderful full-canvas-with-all-the-works jackets?
raykalendek

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:36 am

I still have one of those "full-canvas-with-all-the-works" vintage Chester Barrie Savile Row jackets of wool and cashmere (75% / 25%) that I acquired years ago and that remains one of my most well fitted coats. It's of a lovely soft hand and excellent construction and a delight to wear. Regrettably, it's now in deplorable condition due to age, but I just can't part with it and wear it frequently as a house jacket. I'd replace it in a heartbeat with another of similar cloth, cut and construction, if I could find one.
uppercase

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:00 am

I believe that CB makes up a lot of the MTM suits for the top Savile row tailors.
They certainly do for Huntsman.
And I have one which I like a lot.
andreyb

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:33 am

I wonder if what is currently being sold by Chester Barrie (the shop) is made by Cheshire Bespoke (the factory that used to be CB's "manufacturing arm" and now in separate ownership)?

Same for Huntsman.

While web-sites of both shops mention provenance of some things (ties made in England, shirts in Italy), they are conspiciously mum on where their tailored clothing is actually made.

Andrey
Russell

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:20 am

andreyb wrote:I wonder if what is currently being sold by Chester Barrie (the shop) is made by Cheshire Bespoke (the factory that used to be CB's "manufacturing arm" and now in separate ownership)?

Same for Huntsman.

While web-sites of both shops mention provenance of some things (ties made in England, shirts in Italy), they are conspiciously mum on where their tailored clothing is actually made.

Andrey
Cheshire Bespoke used to make the Huntsman MTM range but the new owner of Huntsman decided to give the contract to an Italian company.

Regards
Russell
alden

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:23 pm

The old Chester Barrie was great clothing. I have a heavy, rich cashmere navy blue DB overcoat that is 25 years old and I still wear it. Well made in a superb quality cloth and in a style that, well, never went out of style.

Cheers
Melcombe

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:26 pm

alden wrote:The old Chester Barrie was great clothing.
Indeed it was. The only suit I ever had stolen was an emerald green, glen check, 2 piece CB.

I've never seen another like it. If you were going to half inch a whistle, surely you'd pick something a little less conspicuous?

I often wonder where it ended up !
  • Information