Adolfo Suarez - man of style

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Gruto

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:35 am

El Mundo has a great photo album with photos of Adolfo Suarez, the prime minister during the Spanish "transición" to democracy. He turns 75 this year:

http://www.elmundo.es/especiales/2007/0 ... index.html

Guille

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:21 pm

In fact (in commemoration to his 75 years) today in the ABC's (another Spanish newspaper) supplementary there was a big part devoted to Adolfo Suarez, including an interview from the late 70s which wasn't published then because his advisers said he had been "too sincere for a politician". He has probably been the only real good politician (Aznar was good but not due to himself, but to the ones around him) in Spanish democracy, and the only one who actually dressed well (in the interview there is a photograph of him in black tie with other Spanish politicians, and in El Mundo's page there is a photograph of him wearing a morning dress in the wedding of an infanta).
Gruto

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:19 pm

I like the way the king - Juan Carlos II - dresses as well. Very conservative. The cut is close to a military uniform. Always "regimental buttoms", cf. Des Merrion's blog.

Guille

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Yes, both the king Juan Carlos and the prince Felipe wear military-styled suits. Another member of the royal family who does dress very well is Jaime de Marichalar. The Spanish Tailors Club actually has elected him the best dressed spaniard.
dopey

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:05 pm

Those look like single link cuffs on the King.
Cufflink79

Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:11 pm

Gruto wrote:El Mundo has a great photo album with photos of Adolfo Suarez, the prime minister during the Spanish "transición" to democracy. He turns 75 this year:

http://www.elmundo.es/especiales/2007/0 ... index.html

In the photo it looks like he is thinking "I want outa here, and to be in the tailor's shop or haberdashery". At least thats what I would be thinking during a meeting. :)

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
MTM

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Guille wrote:Yes, both the king Juan Carlos and the prince Felipe wear military-styled suits.
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the style military (on the pictured suit and just in general)?

Thank you.

m
Gruto

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:35 pm

MTM wrote:
Guille wrote:Yes, both the king Juan Carlos and the prince Felipe wear military-styled suits.
Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the style military (on the pictured suit and just in general)?

Thank you.

m
I cannot define it, but shoulders and chest look very structured, very clean. The trousers' buttoms shiver on the shoes. No casualness, no drape, a little altmodisch.

Guille

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 pm

Gruto wrote:
MTM wrote:

Thank you.

m
I cannot define it, but shoulders and chest look very structured, very clean. The trousers' buttoms shiver on the shoes. No casualness, no drape, a little altmodisch.
Yes, those are the points I had in mind too. But also the frequent use of 6x2 and even 6x3 double-breasted jackets, that look military or at least uniform-like. Compared his suit to Chirac's, although you can't see much in that photograph, the shoulders are more straight definitely.
Gruto

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:00 am

A short video of Juan Carlos at the inauguration of the prime minister Zapatero. I like the fit of his suit, the length of trousers - everything about it:
http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espana/Z ... unac_5/Tes

- and search videos from 12th of "abril".
Minh

Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Guille wrote:"The unavoidable question of style begins with the overcoming of fashion." - Knize.
Or to put it succinctly: Style begins where fashion ends.
El Aristocrata

Fri May 23, 2008 8:47 am

Hello everyone. I am a new Spanish member of this wonderful page and I hope to spend much of my spare time chating wit you.
Juan Carlos´s tailor is Mr. Jaime Gallo. Gallo and Larrainzar are the most wellknow Spanish tailors.

I must say Juan Carlos is quite a smart guy but his son is not in his way. Someone should teach Felipe what shoes should be wear with each suit. He normally wear light brown shoes with dark suits in formal events. :evil:

Anyway, thanks Alden for your wonderfull web page and if there is any Spanish member he/she is very wellcome to my men classical fashion blog www.elaristocrata.com
El Aristocrata
  • Information