Do I go from Church to EG shoes?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

madz

Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Gentlemen,

I am thinking of purchasing a pair of EG shoes. I currently own four pair of Church shoes and a pair of C&J. All of which I'm pleased with and they get rotated daily for work.

Because the EG shoes are a step up in price I suppose I'm trying to justify this to myself :roll: how mutch better are they than my current collection? can I expect them to last the same amount of time if worn for work on a weekly basis? will they wear better?

HELP :oops:

Many thanks
dopey

Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Above all, make sure that the EG lasts fit your feet. Assuming equal fit, most EG lasts are more elegant than most of the Church's lasts (though I like the old 73 Church's last a lot). The EG lasts are more comparable to the C&J lasts. As for quality, EG is better than both Church's and CJ, but if you aren't sufficiently afflicted to be aware of the differences already, I doubt you will notice more than the channeled soles (which the C&J handgrades already have) and the full leather linings (which Church's didn't all have in the past).

Frankly, if your existing shoes fit well and you are happy with the styling, I can't see a huge reason to upgrade, especially if you need to justify the expenditure. If the extra money makes no difference to you, then you might as well spend it as the EGs are better. The only question is how much and whether it is enough to matter.
Concordia

Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 pm

I agree that EGs are generally a shade better in terms of leather quality, etc., and are certainly very good. But be aware that they tend to favor antiqued crust leather rather than aniline-dyed hides. Some adore that look; in some instances I don't mind it but in others I think it is best left for the catalogue photographs. If I were going to get a light tan or basic dark brown, I'd think twice before getting the EG version.

All this assumes no difference in fit; if CJ and Church fit you perfectly, you would be ill-advised to spend much effort looking for a slight upgrade.
tteplitzmd

Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 pm

My bias is well known. Why even consider Edward Green and it's sorrowful customer service, when for roughly the same price you could deal with G&G, or stay with your current choices?

You really have to experiement at your own expense with the various fittings and lasts, and you will get no service after the sale with EG, just a surcharge for your so called special order. (That also conveniently makes it not returnable, marketing people note)

I am (evidently) not an easy fit, and my two G&G are excellent, having relied on G&G's assessment of my discomfort with the EG 5E, 5 1/2 D, in the 202 last.
storeynicholas

Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:06 pm

There is also R E Tricker in Jermyn Street, which are better than Church's and similar in price and quality to C & J. For city shoes, they have one called the Belgravia which I have always found well-made, stylish and durable. However, EG is s step up in price and in quality of materials and workmanship - but they do have sales and will notify when they are on, if you ask - but you'd better be quick to find the style and colour and size for you. New & Lingwood also do very good RTW shoes and have a better selection in the sales. They also used to sell off uncollected bespoke work for a fraction of the bespoke cost - but that is very much pot luck; although, as a student in 1982, I got a pair of great evening pumps, which an Argentinian customer had, for reasons which all will remember, 'declined'. I just had to have plastic surgery on my feet to get into them but didn't I look pleased?
NJS.
sartorius

Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:08 pm

IMO Churches has declined greatly in the years since it was acquired by Prada. I would choose EG over Churches every time. I have always found EG's after sales service to be fine - yes, they can be rather old fashioned and sometimes quite slow, but I take the view that making and maintaining top quality products cannot be rushed.
madz

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 am

Guys, many thanks, some good advice. As is mentioned above I will need to check the fit of the EG first and then decide, although deciding during sale time might make things a little easier :wink:
Tone Loki

Wed May 07, 2008 12:54 pm

I have always worn Trickers - and have always been impressed with the size and styling - I have a wide foot, and favour a wider, rounder shape show than elongated and pointed. The E fitting in the country style and F width in the city/evening shoe fits me very well indeed. But honestly, I've never tried to upgrade in the RTW department..

Sorry to be such a stick, but what would the main differences between an EG RTW and a Tricker RTW be?
madz

Wed May 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Funny this but from my first post I've been thinking about some Trickers as I've read the quality is very good and for the price it sounds like a very good overall package. Especially as the shoe will be worn as part of a rotation for work.

On my next trip to London I will spend some time on Jermyn St so I can decide in person but Trickers will now be on my list together with EG and C&J.

As I said earlier this will hopefully be during sale time when I'm hoping my money will go a little further.
Sir Henry

Sat May 31, 2008 5:03 pm

Anyone know how the Church's `royal range' compare to E.G's?
alden

Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:34 pm

I would suggest you include G&G in your prospecting. Tony Gaziano and Dean Girling are making some lovely shoes. I saw one of the LL limited edition specs the other day and they were stunning. Pics to follow...

Michael
rjman

Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:05 pm

alden wrote:I would suggest you include G&G in your prospecting. Tony Gaziano and Dean Girling are making some lovely shoes. I saw one of the LL limited edition specs the other day and they were stunning. Pics to follow...

Michael
While G&G may be better finished than most EGs, I have the impression based on my limited experience (caveat lector) that EGs are a tiny bit more sturdily made than G&G.
Rossini

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Anyone know how the Church's `royal range' compare to E.G's?
Not quite as elegant Sir Henry, but rather brilliant if you like Church's generally.
SouthPender

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:18 pm

I think an important difference between C&J and Church's, on the one hand, and EG (and G&G), on the other, is the much more individualized shoes you can get through the latter via their extremely flexible MTO programs. Unless you're willing to pay EG prices, you are pretty well stuck with existing designs, and, more importantly, fittings with C&J (and, I assume, Church's, although I have no experience with them), whereas with EG (and G&G), you can choose any of their many lasts, the closest fitting, the leather type and color, and even some alterations to the basic pattern of the model you have chosen.

One other, somewhat trivial, point, Dopey: the full leather sock (their "long sock" is a special-order item with EG and is not their standard treatment (half-sock).

As for service from EG, I certainly have never had--in the course of purchasing several pairs directly from them--anything like the bad experiences alluded to by tteplitzmd. I have been able to communicate directly with them about small points that needed attention, and their response has always been timely and effective.
  • Information