personal introduction

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

ChristopherAllen

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Good evening all,

Firstly thank you to Mr Alden and to the members of the London Lounge for accepting me as a member.

Allow me to introduce myself and my purpose for joining.

My name is Christopher Allen, and other than having a passion for bespoke (i do not yet own a bespoke suit but I have "a fund" that I have set up for myself) I am also a masters student at Central St Martins and this is my other reason for joining.

My masters research is involved with luxury and ethics within the bespoke arena and men's formalwear, and whether a desire for for luxury can prompt and raise ethical concerns within said area.

I am looking for people who would be willing to contribute to my research by possibly giving their views on ethics and sustainability (fabrics, production, practice. etc) within formal menswear and possibly answer a selection of set questions. All of this will be conducted anonymously and also with the full consent of Mr Alden and any members who would be so kind as to parfticipate.

Please be aware that this is not my only reason for joining and that it is also my love of tailoring as a highly skilled craft and in my opinion, art form also that pushes me to learn more about the intracies of bespoke.

Once again thank you and I look forward to participating within the discussions.

Regards

Chris.
Cufflink79

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Welcome Chris:

I think you'll find a wealth of information on this site to your liking.

Your research sounds very interesting, I wish you the best of lucik and would be happy to help you in anyway I can.

Again welcome to the London Lounge.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
storeynicholas

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:39 pm

Hello,
Very happy to help in any way with your research which sounds most interesting.
NJS
Jack_Rabbit

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Hello Chris and welcome to the London Lounge.

I'm relatively new to the forum myself, but have found it to be a most insightful and pleasant site to visit. Many of the members have far greater experience than I, but that is why I am here... to learn.

I'm sure the forum will provide plenty of information and we look forward to seeing many more posts from you in the not too distant future.

All the best

JackRabbit
SV

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Hello Christopher,

I'm replying to your post nearly a year late but I wanted to say that ethics is important, in my view. Have you made research on it recently? I'm interested in sustainability in clothing. I'd like to build my wardrobe around organic fabrics, which seems just about possible nowadays. It would be interesing to discuss this further.

SV
marcelo

Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Welcome to the LL, Chris. Your research sounds quite interesting. The pursuit of luxury goods (whether in the bespoke or any other area) can, indeed, raise some questions of ethical significance. What problems, more precisely, have you been concerned with?
  • Information