Summer tan/fawn

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Concordia

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:38 am

Alias wrote:Shouldn't Woodhouse have some nice summer tans?
I gather the Italians traffic a lot in Woodhouse's cloths, but I don't recall seeing them at a London tailor.
Concordia

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 am

manton wrote:I'm surprised you don't like the tans in Lesser tropical. I have the middle shade (of three) and I love it.
In the absence of a better alternative, I ordered that today. For anyone who is wondering, it's not so different in shade from the Solaro tan, minus the red shimmer. If I don't like the way it looks made up, I'm sending Tonya Harding after you.

Smith 8oz (gilt edge?) had one in the right color, but I worry about the weight. Finmeresco had a few that could work, but those colors are more complicated than I want. There was a decent substitute in the Crispaire book, although that was a tad beefier. For whatever reason, there were no Minnis summer-weight books in residence.
manton

Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 pm

Gilt Edge / Gilt Twist has some great designs, but I don't think if performs as well as Lesser Tropical or Minnis Rangoon.
tteplitzmd

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm

In follow up to Concordia's comments: does anyone know why Woodhouse is not particularly represented in the UK and US? Yes, Italian market seems to have a larger range to show. Woodhouse is decidedly anti-end-user in terms of direct contact (see their website). That said, their cloths are to my eye and hand first rate.
smoothjazzone

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:02 am

They have had problems getting proper distribution -- one guy carries one book of their fabrics but doesn't really market them

Then these were planning to use the former head of Oxxford but he never could set up US wide distribution

Only realistic options are Jodek and Isles and those two probably do not want/need another fabric line

Separately, Len Logsdail has the Thomas Fisher books Alden referred to in a different post -- but that may be a direct from UK deal

tteplitzmd wrote:In follow up to Concordia's comments: does anyone know why Woodhouse is not particularly represented in the UK and US? Yes, Italian market seems to have a larger range to show. Woodhouse is decidedly anti-end-user in terms of direct contact (see their website). That said, their cloths are to my eye and hand first rate.
smoothjazzone

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:03 am

For completeness

Tip Top does carry some of their remnants -- some of them are superb
Alias

Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:12 am

Well, I'm glad they supply Woodhouse here in S Korea. They have a lot of lightweight fabrics available and the ones I picked apart were 2-ply.
Concordia

Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:05 am

smoothjazzone wrote: Separately, Len Logsdail has the Thomas Fisher books Alden referred to in a different post -- but that may be a direct from UK deal
I believe that Fisher is part of the same general outfit as Dugdale, which is fairly well-distributed among London tailors.
  • Information