Wellington boots, options?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

best chice for my needs?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:16 pm

Hunter Benchmade regular
29%
StHubert regular
No votes
JohnLoob hunting boot in oiled leather
71%
Custom wellington rubber boot
No votes

Total votes: 7
speedster

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 pm

On the same note, or a simmilar note ...
Lokking for a wellington boot.
So far I have found the StHubert from LeCamau to be the nicest one.
Hunter also komes to mind, with their Benchmade range.
Does annyone know if they do custom, or indead annyone that does?
As it apears they stil produce a lott by hand.
Are leather lined.
And I know they produce specieal order, for cooperations.
I belive they produced the yelow one for veuve clicquot.
Im not looking for something as "violent" as that, but a subdued black would be nice.

As im not going to use this for vading, but mearly walking in the forset, moors and the likes in rainy weather. Maybe I should just gett a good leather hunting boot? Like one from JohnLobb But it would be nice to cross a stream once in awhile ...

Thoughts? Pros, cons?
Thank you in advance for all your input and feedback.

Speed
RWS

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:55 pm

You may have better fortune than I in this; but, in my experience, rubber boots really aren't suitable for hiking or walking on dry land: both too hot and too fragile.
speedster

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:25 pm

RWS: One might however think that NE and scaninavia would have simmilar climate?
You did then of course vote for the JL option ...

Im ofcourse talking about late autoum, with a maximum temperature of +10C to posibly frezing (-1-3c).

Thanks
RWS

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:34 am

speedster wrote:RWS: One might however think that NE and scaninavia would have simmilar climate?
They do.
You did then of course vote for the JL option ...
It may be the best of those you list. But you might save a few thousand euroes with scant compromise in comfort by combining thick woollen hose with the fine Maine boot offered by L. L. Bean.
Pangur

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:24 pm

I would back RWS here. Beeing an outdoors person all my live, I only ever used wellies for fishing. For walking, hiking etc. I always prefer hiking boots lined with Gore-Tex or similar. Better performance and looks by miles. Buy them large enough for a second pair of woollen socks and you are always dry and comfy.

Just my experience, depends on your specs, of course.
Kind Regards
speedster

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Im not talking about daylong marching ...
Just simple stoling in the Barbour or Lorapiana stormsystem raingear.
For nicer weather I have various bots and shoes, from Lotusse (se snowboot therad) Santoni, Paraboot, Bally, Timberland and Redwing.
So Its not realy a need Issue, rather a lack of a propper Wellington.
Have a special sailing one, but there is no real gripp for the outdoors.

Thanks for voting ;)

Speed
storeynicholas

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Le Chameau make fine field boots but probably better are Newmarket boots (leather foot and most of the rest in canvass); for RTW there's Cording's who are as famous for them as for riding macs, and Foster & Son / Henry Maxwell for bespoke. The late Peal & Co and then these firms (whose joint last-maker was apprenticed at Peal & Co) probably made (and make) the best boots in the world.
alden

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:54 pm

I have always worn the St Hubert by Le Chameau, but Dubarry of Ireland is making a boot that has caught my eye.

http://www.dubarryboots.com/product/25

Michael
yachtie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:33 am

Walking around in the woods and on slippery ground in slip on boots is an invitation to a turned or broken ankle. Save the wellies for the salmon and get lace boots for trekking.

Personal experience is a good teacher.
MaestroUK

Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:54 pm

i have Cahmeau for both wellingtons and a pair of their walking boots for trekking around, superb comfort and grip.
speedster

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:30 pm

After having tryed on both St.Hubert & Hunter BenchMD.
Even my regatta boots are better :(

Have now found an American company that only does MTM/Bespoke.
(Outline & measurements) they even make them in your own hide, if you provide one that is tanned and that conforms to their/your requrements )
I will start the summer with a pair of deck shoes & a replacement for some "Indian" moccasins (the old ones are from Sachs5th, and now +20years) triple layer hide in the sole. If i like the two first orders, I will go for one of their Birdshooter boots, in chrome tanned leather (as it is virtually waterproof) ...

thanks again
Speed
RWS

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Ah, Speedster, the company must be Russell! I've yet to buy but have heard nothing but good about them.
DD MacDonald

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Speedster, with deference to all of the suggestions above. There is only one boot to consider - the Chameau Chasseur. Leather lined, zipper down the side, available in at least two calf sizes. They are pretty expensive and are known in my circle as "mortgage boots". The Chasseur is the boot in shooting circles. I've worn a pair for more than a dozen years and they are going strong.

If you are concerned about rain or wet, you need to consider a rubber boot and a rubebr boot only. Get a good dress, field boot like the EG Galway or the like for bluebird days. When it is wet, rubber is the only thing that will keep your feet dry.

I agree with Michael that the Dubarry is a handsome boot, but frankly it's what the ladies are wearing (and stylishly). As to the St. Hubert, excellent boot with a well shaped calf but it's for riding and meant to wear with tight britches. I can't imaging stuffing cords into them or having a pair of breeks over them, just the wrong look.

Did I say that Chasseur has a zipper? makes getting them on off a breeze.

One key thing, get a pair of good, well molded innersoles for the rubberboots. "Super feet" makes a leather-topped innersole for about $50 with fantastic support. I have walked 10+ miles a day in them with no conserns or foot problems. For a couple of bucks more, they have a version that you step into after it is heated so that it molds to your foot. One poster commented on difficulties of walking over uneven terrain with rubber boots and the point is valid. The Hunter wellies have a heel that is smaller than the "welting" which makes them unstable. Chameau makes all of their boots with a full heel. With good arch support, they do not roll and are very comfortable. Walking over rocks all day would prove a challenge, because the sole is soft, being made of rubber.

If I were only able to take one boot on a trip, i'm going to assume that it will be wet and will take the mortgage boots. No question. To address the question of

Find them, buy them. You won't regret it.

DDM
alden

Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:28 pm

DDM

Sacrebleu! St. Hubert is the patron saint of hunters! And the boot so named is a hunting boot. The Alezan model is the riding boot by Le Chameau.

Not only this, the St Hubert can be ordered in specific calf sizes to allow for moleskins, cords and whipcord trousers to be stuffed inside the boot. The standard measure calf is a 38 but they go up to 50. I order a 45 boot size with a 46 calf. They are perfect and easy to get off and on without the zipper. FYI zippers can be a weak spot and that is why 95% of French hunters choose the St. Hubert over the Chasseur. It is also less expensive so a 15 year mortgage will suffice. PS. The Chasseur is a great boot too. :-)

Cheers
DD MacDonald

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Thought I might make a splash.

Seriously, the zipper is genius. I've seen the tab break, but never the zipper itself jam or malfunction. The boots come with a small piece of wax to keep the zipper lubricated but I've never used it in a dozen years because (literally) a dog ate it. c'est la vie.

:twisted:
Last edited by DD MacDonald on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information