Rayner and Sturges

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

eddie

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:50 pm

I have heard rave reviews about RAYNER AND STURGES. How can I contact them can't find a web-site. Who would be a contact to speak about wholesale for a US shop. Any advice?
DonB

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:19 am

eddie wrote:I have heard rave reviews about RAYNER AND STURGES. How can I contact them can't find a web-site. Who would be a contact to speak about wholesale for a US shop. Any advice?
Thomas Mahon works with this company:

http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000166.html

Perhaps he'd be willing to give additional pointers.

Regards,
Don
rjman

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:12 am

eddie wrote:I have heard rave reviews about RAYNER AND STURGES. How can I contact them can't find a web-site. Who would be a contact to speak about wholesale for a US shop. Any advice?
The first hit googling them is their website, www.raynersturges.com . You can try to contact them through the contact information listed there. I don't think anyone here can help you further.
jpontin

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Thomas Mahon recommended this shirt maker to me--and based on his good reputation I ordered about 6 shirts. I was very displeased. I saved some money compared to T&A, who ordinarily makes my shirts. But the finish was poor, the details were sub-standard, and fit (despite my asking for a number of changes on the first shirt) was never really right. Most annoyingly, the shirts blouse up at the back and around the waist, the tail isn't long enough to ensure that the shirt stays tucked in, and the collar sits very badly on my suits. Worst, the shirts just seem a little... too much, compared to the austere elegance of my T&A shirts.

I think the good-will that every one feels about Mr. Mahon in this forum is giving R&S a free-ride that they do not deserve.

JP
ER

Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:03 pm

rjman wrote:
The first hit googling them is their website, www.raynersturges.com . You can try to contact them through the contact information listed there. I don't think anyone here can help you further.
Here are the new owners: Boyd Bowman, Armoury House, 52-54 Artillery Lane, London E1 7LS. Tel: 0207 377 8755. E-mail: rbb@craufurdholdings.com

Good luck. Personally I would avoid.
Grayson

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:50 pm

Dear eddie,

I ordered a couple of shirts through Thomas Mahon. Unfortunately I was very dissappointed with the quality of their work.

Kind regards,

Grayson
Concordia

Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Tried a shirt through Mahon, in search of an alternate source. Construction was very good. Body was a little blousy in the back, but not egregiously so. Collar was not right-- made it hard to wear the shirt. They fixed the main problem very graciously, although it will take another whirl to get things really right. Not sure I have the patience. If I lived in Carlisle, it would be well worth considering.
Mann

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:44 am

I, too, ordered through Tom Mahon. The first shirt was ok (collar was perfect, body was too wide despite my asking for a snug fit) and delivery only took 4 weeks. However, this was in May 2006.

Tried ordering a few more shirts though Mahon in March 2007 and have been waiting ever since! Tom admits himself that he is not satisfied with their quality and logistics.

Would recommend to avoid them and go for a true bespoke shop. Have heard good things about Russell & Hodge in London or Sinsiscalchi in Milan.

Mann
ER

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Mann wrote:I, too, ordered through Tom Mahon. The first shirt was ok (collar was perfect, body was too wide despite my asking for a snug fit) and delivery only took 4 weeks. However, this was in May 2006.

Tried ordering a few more shirts though Mahon in March 2007 and have been waiting ever since! Tom admits himself that he is not satisfied with their quality and logistics.

Would recommend to avoid them and go for a true bespoke shop. Have heard good things about Russell & Hodge in London or Sinsiscalchi in Milan.

Mann
http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... php?t=7326

This link will give you a good example of the quality of Russell &Hodge. If you've had issues of quality and logistics from R & S I'm afraid you're going to get more of the same from Russell & Hodge.
  • Information