Recommend shoes for a reasonable price?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

DonB

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:57 pm

kolecho wrote:Spend just over $400 and you have some great choices from C&J HG (from Plal) and Carmina (from Paris, or Spain).
I am currently contemplating on what brand of shoes I should choose (RTW). Basically, I have narrowed it down to Edward Green, Carmina and C&J. Does the quality of Edward Green justify the higher cost compared to Carmina and C&J?

Regards,
DonB
whittaker

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:12 pm

DonB wrote:Does the quality of Edward Green justify the higher cost compared to Carmina and C&J?
From a quality perspective, the higher cost is not justified. All 3, assuming you are looking at C&J's hand-grade, are excellent quality.

From a fit or design angle, the higher cost may well be justified. Each company has a different range; individual designs may appeal. Carmina are exceptional for cordovan; EG make the best black whole-cut and suede brogues. The differences are subtle. If the designs are all equal, then the cost is unjustifiable.
Chris Rimby

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 pm

whittaker wrote:
DonB wrote:Does the quality of Edward Green justify the higher cost compared to Carmina and C&J?
From a quality perspective, the higher cost is not justified. All 3, assuming you are looking at C&J's hand-grade, are excellent quality.

From a fit or design angle, the higher cost may well be justified. Each company has a different range; individual designs may appeal. Carmina are exceptional for cordovan; EG make the best black whole-cut and suede brogues. The differences are subtle. If the designs are all equal, then the cost is unjustifiable.
While I have never worn or owned and EG or Carmina, I had a hunch that this was the case. I checked out several EG shoes at the Polo Mansion in NYC. They were good looking shoes but no better looking to my eye than C&J Handgrades. In fact I like the C&J 337 last better than most EG lasts. And when you compare the prices for C&J that can be found online at Plal.com to the EG retail prices, there is no comparison (for me at least).
JG

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 pm

One difference worth noting: I have found that it is easier to get more styles of EGs in narrower widths. The C&Js that I have tried, even in the narrowest (readily) available widths, were too wide for me. Not sure if this is an issue for you, but I thought I would point it out.

I also think that, over all, the EGs have a nicer finish. But that doesn't mean they are constructed any better than C&Js.
DonB

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:47 am

Based on the posts above one should choose for Edward Green if the designs appeal particularly. Other than that the Crockett & Jones Handgrade line is an excellent alternative.

Where does Carmina fit in? I have seen Cordovan as well as shoes made of other types of leather.

Regards,
DonB
Last edited by DonB on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 am

l've never bought C&J online, but if you know your correct size then C&J from Pediwear or PLAL represents excellent value.
AJS

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:56 pm

JLibourel wrote:If you fancy Allen-Edmonds be sure to check with the factory outlet stores for seconds on closeout. The blemishes that make the shoes seconds are usually indiscernible. I have gotten many excellent Allen-Edmonds dress shoes for $129 and even less.
Agreed. If you know your size and the model you want, call a factory second store and find out if they have it (they usually do, in my experience). They'll ship them at a reasonable price.
Last edited by AJS on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edhayes

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:12 am

brooks brothers has some lovely shoes, they are having a sale. I think alden is an excellent shoe and allan edmonds has improved.
  • Information