Gig line

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

JMurphy

Mon May 28, 2007 11:32 pm

Anyone remember it or know what it is? I'm wondering how the American Army's standard of dress has affected formal (well, lounge/business) dress in the United States: Edge of belt buckle, edge of shirt placket and edge of the trouser fly/placket all in a crisp vertical line. It's how I 'dress' and I'm curious if it is the standard for dressing well or if, as usual, I've missed something. (Let's not slip into a discussion of belts vs braces vs side tabs, please!)

Also, a quick to determine if a guy is a lefty is if he wears his belt backwards making a proper gig line impossible.
JamesT1

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:35 pm

This brings back memories of my father telling me to fix my shirt. The gig line, as I understand it, is the lining up of the shirt placket, with the trouser-centre/fly.

Being left handed, I do wear my belts reverse and simply centre the belt-buckle so the amount of overhang is the same on both sides. Then again, I rarely wear belts as I find them annoying.
Droogie

Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:50 pm

JamesT1 wrote:This brings back memories of my father telling me to fix my shirt. The gig line, as I understand it, is the lining up of the shirt placket, with the trouser-centre/fly..
And the edge of the belt buckle.
dopey

Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:57 pm

I think as more sophisticated form of dressing is to have items deviate from the center line in an ever-increrasing gap following the Fibonacci series.
Concordia

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:19 pm

dopey wrote:I think as more sophisticated form of dressing is to have items deviate from the center line in an ever-increrasing gap following the Fibonacci series.
Does your tailor have a box to check for that under "Trousers-- dress:"?
dopey

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Concordia wrote:
dopey wrote:I think as more sophisticated form of dressing is to have items deviate from the center line in an ever-increrasing gap following the Fibonacci series.
Does your tailor have a box to check for that under "Trousers-- dress:"?
Yes - there is a box for left, right and Fibonacci.
Costi

Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds maniacal! However, it may look quite elegant:

... and intriguing!
  • Information