James Smith Unbrellas

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Bespoke1214

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22 am

Hello I am currently a new guest to this extremely interesting website and I am very interested in purchasing a new umbrella and I have had a recommendation that James Smith is the place to go for such a purchase. Could anybody else vouch for this and also could you supply me with a price range for the umbrellas if possible? All of your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Bespoke1214
rjman

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:26 pm

James Smith is an extremely reputable umbrella maker, buy with confidence. Prices from 50 pounds and up -- they're considerably cheaper than Swaine Adeney Brigg, another legendary name in umbrellas.
TVD

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:33 pm

I have always been a Brigg man (the brand used by Swaine Adeney for their umbrellas). However, in the summer I passed by the James Smith shop, by chance. While I am not enamoured with their economical Fox frame offering, the single piece wooden ones are divine. Snakewood, ebony, macassar ebony, rosewood. Far more flexible / friendly in terms of length and covering (silk / nylon) than Brigg / Swaine Adeney are.

If I happen to walk past after a boozy lunch I am sure a silk covered ebony umbrella will be mine.
Bespoke1214

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:59 pm

Thank you very much for your information it has been very helpful and I think I will have to make a trip down to James Smith soon to have a look at their unbrellas and probably purchase one.

Regards
whittaker

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:36 pm

You won't be disappointed at James Smith. The fox frame umbrellas are a reasonable option if you have a tendency to lose one or two a season. Take a look at the fitted whangee handles.
alden

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:58 pm

It used to be said that one went to Fox for umbrellas (http://www.foxumbrellas.com/) and to James Smith for canes and walking sticks. That's when Fox had its shop near London Wall.

Today Fox sells via the net and one size fits all. If it fits you fine, if it doesn't....fine.

The benefit of James Smith is the ability to go to a shop and have the umbrella fit for you by the very competent staff. For those who are inclined to prefer bespoke, Smiths is the way to go.

Cheers
chelsea

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:58 pm

This is my first post and I am delighted to be a member of such an august body as LL.

I purchased my first James Smith umbrella one lunch hour in the autumn. The real joy is having an umbrella of the correct length for the first time in my life. It just feels lovely to hold.

My ideal length was 'between' sizes and the staff at James Smith were assiduous in ensuring the umbrella was the perfect length for me. The purchasing process took half an hour and most enjoyable.

I recommend James Smith highly.
rjman

Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:15 pm

It is worth pointing out that the Fox umbrella brand and the Fox frame used in good umbrellas are two separate and unrelated enterprises -- according to the Fox umbrellas website.
Incroyable

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:47 am

I rather like vintage umbrellas with the interesting elegant handles made of materials that are now either illegal to obtain or are quite costly.
E. Tage Larsen

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:28 pm

Dear Sir:

You might be interested in this earlier thread on James Smith, also from this forum:

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... ames+smith

I wonder now that you are initiated to the joy of bespoke umbrellas, if you would consider offering an image? I have two from James Smith and find that i now only use the solid-stick one made of apple wood. It is a most blissful experience, at least until you get to the coat check.
Ray

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 am

Dear Sir,

I have two james Smith umbrellas. one less formal in a dark green with a one piece ash stick/handle and the other for formal occasions in black with the ebony stick. they are both examples of British workmanship at it's best. I understand the majority of our kings, Queens and princes have been smith customers. Infact a relative still has my grandfarthers purchased in 1934 still in fantastic condition. The cost I think represents fantastic value for money I understand my ash unbrella is now priced at around £140 and the ebony around £260
Leon

Thu May 24, 2007 4:39 pm

This afternoon, I popped into the store and purchased a solid stick umbrella in ash. It was £115, cut to size, for the slightly larger canopy.

I am sure it will get plenty of use this bank holliday weekend. It is bound to rain.

Leon
Sebastian Tombs

Thu May 24, 2007 10:02 pm

They have recently revamped their website, now featuring a comprehensive price and model list:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/

Regards
naturlaut

Sat May 26, 2007 2:17 am

I've had both Brigg and Smith, and I have to say that after one Smith umbrella, I would probably not go back to Brigg. The Smith makes the Brigg looks flimsy.
James Lee

Sat May 26, 2007 3:37 am

Seems like the Smith is a good value relative to Brigg.
  • Information