Semi-Formal Dress for Afternoon Wedding, Evening Reception

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Midnight Blue

Wed May 02, 2007 2:21 pm

The traditional rules are quite clear cut regarding semi-formal dress for afternoon weddings (Morning Dress) and evening weddings (Black Tie). However, I have not been able to find guidelines for the popular (North American) custom of combining an afternoon ceremony with an evening reception. I would be quite interested to hear the opinions of the learned contributors to this forum.
Concordia

Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 pm

In popular North American culture, there are no rules. Or, at least, none worth observing.

Most commonly on our side of the pond, you have wedding parties dressed in black tie for a 4PM wedding, followed by photos at sunset and then everyone oozing into the reception. If the bride (or the wedding planner) has gained the upper hand in the negotiations, the groomsmen and groom will likely be wearing the abortions billed as "tuxedos" (which they most certainly are not) in rental catalogues. Long ties, weird colors, riverboat gambler jackets, the rest of it.

More properly, IMO, you would have morning dress carried over into the evening. Or, since a late afternoon service seems to carry some connotations of informality, the wedding party will do the right thing and punt on formal wear altogether and go with good lounge suits. Blazers, if in a resort setting.

See Manton's thread on this-- it speaks volumes about what is commonly done and properly done.
Midnight Blue

Thu May 03, 2007 12:36 am

Concordia wrote: See Manton's thread on this-- it speaks volumes about what is commonly done and properly done.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had skimmed through that thread before but previously missed the paragraph that answered my question:

"It’s actually covered in old etiquette books. And the rule was, if the wedding takes place in the day, the man wears a morning coat. And if the reception goes into the evening, he still wears a morning coat. The rule that forbids morning coats in the evening was thus bent for the sake of practicality. And so could it be today."

This forum certainly is a treasure trove.
zjpj

Thu May 03, 2007 3:16 am

Can't you have morning dress for the morning and then change into black tie at the hotel or wherever the reception is held in the evening?
kirsch

Thu May 03, 2007 4:44 am

I tried advising my friend and his fiance on proper wedding attire with info I found on this forum. That did not go over well.

We are wearing black "tuxedos" with PINK "vests" and PINK NECKTIES (pre-tied, of course)for a 5:00 pm wedding.

So, yeah...that's American fashion.

Needless to say, I can't wait! I'll make sure to post some of the beautiful photos. You gents gotta wait 'till Oct, though.

--chris
Concordia

Thu May 03, 2007 10:49 am

zjpj wrote:Can't you have morning dress for the morning and then change into black tie at the hotel or wherever the reception is held in the evening?
Of course.

You just have to manage expectations for guests and wedding party members who need to (a) bring an extra change of clothes, (b) cool their heels waiting for the reception to start, often in a hotel room in a strange city.
Mr. Magoo

Thu May 03, 2007 9:02 pm

Concordia wrote:
zjpj wrote:Can't you have morning dress for the morning and then change into black tie at the hotel or wherever the reception is held in the evening?
Of course.

You just have to manage expectations for guests and wedding party members who need to (a) bring an extra change of clothes, (b) cool their heels waiting for the reception to start, often in a hotel room in a strange city.
Ceremony. Cocktail hour where guests mingle while bride and groom change. Reception of bride and groom in new togs. It can work quite well.
Concordia

Thu May 03, 2007 9:12 pm

But where does everyone else change?

Unless they're all staying at the same hotel.
Midnight Blue

Sat May 05, 2007 1:28 am

Concordia wrote:But where does everyone else change?
According to the Emily Post books, mlae guests wear dark suits to both day and evening weddings when they are semiformal.
  • Information