Armani couture for men - comments?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Arrows

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Gentlemen

I'm sure you're all well aware of Armani's move into haute couture for men (their words, not mine) and the attempted sullying of Savile row tailoring. For those of you who may have missed this, please see this article:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 684985.ece

I am bringing it up in this forum because I was minded during a recent television documentary about haute couture that other fashion houses were planning the same thing (Dior I believe, although my memory is a little hazy).

I believe that fine tailoring is fine tailoring, whether on the row or elsewhere, and the skill of that tailoring should speak for itself rather than verbally trying to do one another down.

I was just wondering what other people thought of these moves?

Kind regards

Rupert
DonB

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Arrows wrote:Gentlemen

I'm sure you're all well aware of Armani's move into haute couture for men (their words, not mine) and the attempted sullying of Savile row tailoring. For those of you who may have missed this, please see this article:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 684985.ece

I am bringing it up in this forum because I was minded during a recent television documentary about haute couture that other fashion houses were planning the same thing (Dior I believe, although my memory is a little hazy).

I believe that fine tailoring is fine tailoring, whether on the row or elsewhere, and the skill of that tailoring should speak for itself rather than verbally trying to do one another down.

I was just wondering what other people thought of these moves?

Kind regards

Rupert
Some opinions are voiced here.

Regards,
Don
Arrows

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Thank you Don, that was very helpful.

I wondered if it had already been discussed within the LL but my search had shown no results for some reason.

Many thanks once again, and I particularly liked Thomas's challenge!
Marabunta

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:03 pm

Armani's invective is bad form, but harsh words among fashion designers, and fashion houses . . . is nothing new.
What I find interesting is the take, that this is the 'first time' a mainstream designer has attempted such a venture. Well, perhaps in menswear. But, in the women's sector, Christian Dior proposed doing Dior accessories all the way down to a Dior 'ham, for Christmas,' back in the forties. At Saint Laurent, cigarettes were marketed, with the YSL insignia. Still, haute couture was produced as a matter of course, in their salons.
I do believe that Armani is attempting to fuse a woman's 'haute couture experience,' with what men have enjoyed vis a vis bespoke, personal tailoring and tradition.
As to whether or not he'll be successful . . . time will tell.
angelo

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:45 pm

The Armani's plan to move into haute couture for men, by creating new premises with this finality in Savile Row-London and Milan as first platforms for a worldwide future spreading , will have in my opinion a devastating effect on bespoke traditional men tailoring as Armani does not have any real cultural background in this field. Women fashion , where Armani has created his empire, is something completely different from the fine men bespoke tailoring.
The Armani's declaration to create a complete ‘haute’ service for men with single complete outfit that, at the top, can cost as much as £75,000 demonstrates that he wants to attire only very rich people and not the really elegant persons that are known to pursue an ideal way of dressing where sobriety and taste are mixed and harmonized togheter.

Angelo
Marabunta

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Well, I've never admired Armani's clothes for women. I don't think he knows how to make clothes, for women. JMHO, of course.
Do you really think that this venture will have such far reaching implications? We're talking here about a very, very tiny percentage of the population. How is it that you think Armani's plunge into men's 'couture,' will have so widespread an influence? You think his premise to do men's couture, will lower the standards of old world, bespoke tailors? Why?

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:53 am

Got to be impressed with Armani's huge visions. He has total belief and makes the seeming impossible happen.

75,000 Pound for a suit. Crickey! that's quite dear. :lol:
Thracozaag

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Tom Ford appears to be making a move into MTM men's clothing as well--utlizing Zegna Napoli, apparently.

koji
Marabunta

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:39 pm

Thracozaag wrote:Tom Ford appears to be making a move into MTM men's clothing as well--utlizing Zegna Napoli, apparently.

koji
ImageOn second thought . . . angelo, may be right.
  • Information