quick poll: would you wear a bow tie with a business suit?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

luk-cha

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:47 am

no never i guess i dont whant to look like the Donald (tsang)
flannel

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Do all the time. Rarely without a vest, though.
Arpey

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm

Once a week.
dopey

Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I have not worn a bow-tie with a business suit and don't think I would, at least not to the office. I do, however, wear bowties regularly. For the last six months or so, I have been wearing them almost every weekend. I don't know how long I will continue the practice past the time my daughters get bored of choosing my Saturday morning bowtie.
yachtie

Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:14 pm

No. I've never liked the bow tie look; and at least here in the Midwestern U.S., wearing a bow tie for business is an affectation.
su misura

Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:43 pm

I to would not wear one. Its not me.
BirdofSydney

Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:19 am

Never have, but would probably under two circumstances. The first is that, when it was de rigeur (see Churchill and his cabinet more generally), a waistcoat was generally worn. Secondly, I'd opt for a French-fronted shirt, rather than something with a placket, which looks too clunky (covered placket probably too psuedo-formal).
Sir Royston

Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 pm

Frequently

Either with a Business suit 9tends to be a chalkstripe) or with casual weekend attire (Cords and tweed jacket0
Cordovan

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Cufflink79 wrote:I have worn a bow tie once with a suit about nine years ago (fall of 1997).

The suit was a standard SBNL in a charcoal pinstripe.

The shirt was white with doulbe cuffs, with blue and gold crown Swedish cuff links of course. :wink:

White pocket square and black wing tip shoes.

The bow tie was a repp stripe from BB in navy and light blue.
Impressive memory.

I do wear one on occasion, but as RWS said, you must be mindful of where you wear it so you won't distract (or send the wrong message to) your audience without meaning to.

Cordovan
masterfred

Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:50 pm

I used to wear them fairly often, but haven't donned a bow tie in probably 10 years or more. I fell out of love with the look; although they look good with formal attire, I honestly no longer care for the image a bow gives the wearer (ducks head to avoid the breathing of threats and slaughter). :oops:
dopey

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:54 pm

dopey wrote:I have not worn a bow-tie with a business suit and don't think I would, at least not to the office. I do, however, wear bowties regularly. For the last six months or so, I have been wearing them almost every weekend. I don't know how long I will continue the practice past the time my daughters get bored of choosing my Saturday morning bowtie.
Well it is more than a year later, but since someone necroposted here, I will update. I still wear bowties every weekend. I occasionally wear them with business suits, though still not to the office.
storeynicholas

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:20 am

A jaunty way of cocking a snook at puritans, since a day time bow tie is quite rakish.
NJS
Cufflink79

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Yesterday evening 2/12/08 I was watching Boston Legal on ABC, the episode was entitled "Glow in the Dark".

Christian Clemenson who plays Attorney Jerry Espenson, was wearing a few different bow ties with dark SB suits. Looked very smart.

One look caught my eye in which he had on a charcoal suit, white shirt, and a dark purple paisley bow tie.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Will

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:32 pm

I am wearing one today. They take a suit into the evening a bit better thana four in hand IMO.
storeynicholas

Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:41 pm

The Churchill / Fleming dark blue/black polka dot bow tie is serious enough to be worn anywhere except a funeral but other, coloured and patterened bow ties are often taken as demonstrating a flippancy which sits ill with a business/professional environment in the UK.
  • Information