Dario Rodriguez?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

jasstoltz

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:05 pm

I was in Tip Top this weekend picking up some fabric for a jacket, and Pete mentioned I should try Dario Rodriguez for trousers. I am meeting him this weekend and will start with one pair.

I only found one mention in previous posts. Would any members who have used his services care to share their experience, or offer any advice?
edhayes

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:43 pm

I have at least a half dozen pairs of pants from him and I think he's terrific, Smooth Jazz has also gotten some and says he likes them too.
smoothjazzone

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:47 pm

Dario does great work and is very reasonably priced. He can make belted trousers from scratch eactly to your specifications and can copy any high-backed trousers you have (I don't get the sense he gets a lot of requests for these).
Fashionicon

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:00 pm

Can someone please post Dario's contact info.

Thanks.
Cantabrigian

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:53 pm

I believe he's based in Staten Island but from what I have heard he will travel pretty readily to do a fitting and is happy ot copy existing trousers.

The phone number I have is
718 370 8099
Concordia

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:33 pm

Where does he come out on the price/quality/style continuum relative to the usual suspects in NY or London?
smoothjazzone

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:13 am

Price - In the $100 zip code per trouser

Quality - good -- not quite Nicolosi or even close but not bad - well above some other junk in NY

Style - whatever you want; expert at copying another pair
Concordia wrote:Where does he come out on the price/quality/style continuum relative to the usual suspects in NY or London?
smoothjazzone

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:15 am

BTW -- thats a CMT price -- Dario does not sell fabric
Concordia

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 pm

smoothjazzone wrote:BTW -- thats a CMT price -- Dario does not sell fabric
I'd figured that-- otherwise, he'd be in LL Bean territory!
dopey

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 pm

I am wearing a pair today that I bought through LS. The cloth is a gray Cavalry Twill, that has some nice body to it. It has become my favorite pair of odd trousers. The cloth was an end-bolt Izzy had lying around, which added a tiny amount to LS’s price, which itself is about a 100% markup over Dario. If you order cloth from the books, Izzy just adds his cloth cost to the base price.

I used a pair of Dege suit trousers as the model and the copying was dead-on in terms of fit except for a cuff adjustment that Izzy’s own tailor took care of (the originals were returned unharmed but mumble incessantly about their abduction by aliens). Quality of the trimmings is certainly inferior to the row, but nothing I care about. If I were feeling especially picky I might supply a rear pocket button or side tab buckles, but for the moment I don’t plan to bother. Quality of the sewing was good, but not to the same standard as Dege or my Raphael trousers. Still, it is perfectly fine and vastly superior to that on some USA made J. Press trousers I bought a month ago.

I have not tried using Dario directly. LS offers some convenience to me and is probably worth it for 1 or 2 pairs. For 5, going direct makes more sense.

If you are an out of towner, it might makes sense to go to Izzy at your convenience, drop off a pair to be copied with some cloth and have him send the finished product or pick it up when it is done.

I have several lengths of cloth on the way and if I like more than one of them I will probably try direct. For just one, I will go to Izzy.
jasstoltz

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Thank you for all the wonderful information, gentlemen. I hope he'll be making all of mine soon.

How long does he average from order to delivery? And I assume there is no fitting, he just measures than delivers, correct?
couch

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:58 pm

Thanks smoothjazz for this info. Do you or dopey know whether Dario "direct" is a cash-and-carry-only vendor, or whether he'll accept Visa and/or ship out of town?

Like Dopey I've used Dario via Izzy at LS--two pairs with Izzy's cloth, one with my own heavy linen. I've described his DAKS backs on another thread. I have a current order in process for five pairs using Tip Top finds, also via LS.

Izzy did the measuring on the first set, working from my body and from two pairs I brought in for triangulation and style points. The resulting trousers are the best-fitting I own.

Using Izzy does introduce an additional communication link, with the inevitable increased risk of miscues. On one pair from my first order I had specified double forward pleats, which Izzy duly wrote (scribbled) on the order sheet for Dario. They came back with reverse pleats, which I detest. This was corrected at no charge, but the resulting pleats were a little shallow, so that the front creases don't hang perfectly straight but curve slightly to the sides.

This time I've typed out separate order sheets for each of two styles, with drawings of significant style points and all measurements specified, including depth of pleats. The cloth (three lengths for one style, two for the other) was bundled separately with the relevant order sheet. I hope this will reduce the likelihood of errors. We'll see.

I agree with Dopey's assessment of quality. I've asked for some upgraded trimmings (larger extension tab hook, etc.) this time but don't know whether they'll be available. I would add that on my first order all the trousers had hand-worked buttonholes. Not especially fine ones, but functional and handmade.
Cantabrigian

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:10 am

When have people been able to meet with him? We spoke tonight and I was given a choice between Saturday at two at Tip Top or coming to his house.
richardcharles

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

I have always gone to his house in Staten Island and been very warmly received. His pants are a very good value. As with a lot of pantmakers it is better to bring a pair that you like very much for them to take measurements ( ie copy ). I met him years ago when he was the in house pantmaker at Beckenstein on Sundays. After their falling out I started using him and have been pleased. He has a similar relationship with Tip Top though he now works for himself. A very good guy
Mark Seitelman

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 pm

As mentioned previously, Dario does work for LS.

I have had him copy pants at LS, and he has been very good. I'm waiting on two trousers from LS made from cloth from our last foray to Tip Top, and I'll report soon.

I much prefer to go to LS for convenience. I also know Izzy and family for years, and they are nice people. He always has a few surprises, such as Sanyo raincoats with removable liners. I picked-up one for my and my stepson.

Incidentally, LS has Tip Top swatches. Therefore, a trip to Brooklyn can be saved.
  • Information