More on Gary Grant

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Breakaway

Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:08 pm

I remember reading many years ago in a quote attibuted to Grant that he had been influenced by Douglas Fairbanks SR, Noel Coward, Jack Buchanan (starred in The Band Wagon with Fred Astaire) and Rex Harrison. Here's the question: What did each of the persons mentioned contribute to Grant's style?

Breakaway
richt

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:38 pm

Breakaway wrote:I remember reading many years ago in a quote attibuted to Grant that he had been influenced by Douglas Fairbanks SR, Noel Coward, Jack Buchanan (starred in The Band Wagon with Fred Astaire) and Rex Harrison. Here's the question: What did each of the persons mentioned contribute to Grant's style?

Breakaway
If you're interested, I devoted a good part of my book to that very subject. It's called Cary Grant: A Celebration of Style, with a Foreword by Giorgio Armani and an Afterword by Michael Kors, and it's just out. --Richard Torregrossa
Mark Seitelman

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 pm

As Mr. Torregrossa indicates in his excellent book, Grant took characteristics from all of these actors. .

Fairbanks--a swashbuckling, athletic hero who can woo the ladies and then on a dime fight a villain with swords. The picture of elegant non-chalance without any strain or effort. See Grant in "Gunga Din." Also see Grant in "Holiday" when he does a couple of flips, "The Awful Truth" where he does a couple of pratfalls, and "North by Northwest" where he hangs by his fingernails from Mt. Rushmore.

Coward--elegance mixed with irony. The ultimate urban sophisticate. Grant had aspects of this in "The Philadelphia Story" and "North by Northwest."

Buchanan--ditto.

Harrison-- a straight, elegant, thinking man's hero without the Fairbanks's super-human heroics. The perfect light comedian from the lost era of the Egnlish drawing room romantic comedy. I'm thinking of Harrison in "Insincerely Yours," "Major Barbara," "My Fair Lady," "Midnight Lace, " and a comedy whose name escpaes me which takes place in the 1950's London "season" and co-starred Kay Kendall. See Grant in "The Philadelphia Story," "The Bachelor and Bobby Soxer,""People Will Talk," and his last film, "Walk, Don't Run." I would say that Grant took-on the Harrison persona more in his later years.

Grant was all of these and more. He was the greatest movie actor.
richt

Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:As Mr. Torregrossa indicates in his excellent book, Grant took characteristics from all of these actors. .

Fairbanks--a swashbuckling, athletic hero who can woo the ladies and then on a dime fight a villain with swords. The picture of elegant non-chalance without any strain or effort. See Grant in "Gunga Din." Also see Grant in "Holiday" when he does a couple of flips, "The Awful Truth" where he does a couple of pratfalls, and "North by Northwest" where he hangs by his fingernails from Mt. Rushmore.

Coward--elegance mixed with irony. The ultimate urban sophisticate. Grant had aspects of this in "The Philadelphia Story" and "North by Northwest."

Buchanan--ditto.

Harrison-- a straight, elegant, thinking man's hero without the Fairbanks's super-human heroics. The perfect light comedian from the lost era of the Egnlish drawing room romantic comedy. I'm thinking of Harrison in "Insincerely Yours," "Major Barbara," "My Fair Lady," "Midnight Lace, " and a comedy whose name escpaes me which takes place in the 1950's London "season" and co-starred Kay Kendall. See Grant in "The Philadelphia Story," "The Bachelor and Bobby Soxer,""People Will Talk," and his last film, "Walk, Don't Run." I would say that Grant took-on the Harrison persona more in his later years.

Grant was all of these and more. He was the greatest movie actor.
Good point about Harrison's influence. I believe you are right. They were friends. And you probably know the story about Grant's witty remark when they offered him the part first for My Fair Lady. He said, "Not only won't I do it, but if you don't give the part to Rex Harrison, I won't even go see it."
Mark Seitelman

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Mr. Torregrossa, congratulations on your book.

Of course, the four role models all had in common elegant dress, and they were all customers of the Row.

Rex Harrison was a customer of Sullivan & Woolley which merged into Henry Poole. I understand that he took his custom to Poole.

Where did the others shop?
richt

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:23 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:Mr. Torregrossa, congratulations on your book.

Of course, the four role models all had in common elegant dress, and they were all customers of the Row.

Rex Harrison was a customer of Sullivan & Woolley which merged into Henry Poole. I understand that he took his custom to Poole.

Where did the others shop?
Thanks for the congrats. As to the tailoring choices of the others, I shall check my notes to see if they match my memory....
  • Information