leather jackets...would you, and which type?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

pchong

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:37 am

Part of Alden's essential wardrobe includes a leather jacket...not living in a country where weather necessitates an overcoat, I have perhaps given the matter of outer coats less thought than with suits or odd jacketc.

I do have a couple of outer coats - all in wool, knee length, but no more. And these are quite heavy coats, and I loathe to travel with them, as a result they see little use, except for Montreal in winter. I am thinking of a general purpose travel coat - usable 3 seasons of the year, and to double up as an overcoat in winter.

But I have always been intrigued with leather jackets, and am thinking if I should purchase one. And would like to seek advice on what would be your choice.
Some questions, if you don't mind -

1. would you have this item of clothing?

2. would you wear it over a suit, or only as casual wear?

3. would brown or black be the preferred colour? would you match with other leatherwear?

4. would you prefer a car coat - slightly longer than a suit jacket, or a bomber style? Obviously, a bomber would only be suitable for casual wear. But I do see many men about town wearing their 3/4 length leather coats over suiting.

5. would you prefer for the coat to be made of leather from calf, horse, lamb, or goat?

What should I look out for in purchasing such a coat? Would you know of any bespoke houses who are able to make one for me?

EL72

Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:32 pm

pchong wrote:
1. would you have this item of clothing?
Yes, I have several.
pchong wrote:
2. would you wear it over a suit, or only as casual wear?
Never over a suit - only for casual wear.
pchong wrote:
3. would brown or black be the preferred colour? would you match with other leatherwear?
I have a brown suede 3B (car coat length); black leather pea coat; black bomber. Black leather jackets have a certain urban sophistication that brown don't - it's the bad boy look - think Marlon Brando, James Dean...
pchong wrote: 4. would you prefer a car coat - slightly longer than a suit jacket, or a bomber style? Obviously, a bomber would only be suitable for casual wear. But I do see many men about town wearing their 3/4 length leather coats over suiting.
Never wear a car coat over suiting; many men do this in Canada and it's a terrible look, especially when when your jacket peeks out from under the coat. Car coats are not long enough to adequately cover a suit.
pchong wrote:
5. would you prefer for the coat to be made of leather from calf, horse, lamb, or goat?

What should I look out for in purchasing such a coat? Would you know of any bespoke houses who are able to make one for me?
Not sure about bespoke makers but I am sure they must exist. Look for the same things you would in other garments i.e. fit, style, construction... you can buy leathers from $50 to $5,000+. After touching a few, you will get a sense for the different levels of quality.
  • Information