Reccomended Cobblers in London

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

supafly

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:35 pm

Gentlemen,

Would you be so kind as to leave details of recommended London cobblers in this post. Please also indicate if repairs of shoes made by other shoemakers are undertaken.

Thank you
Percy.Trimmer

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:30 pm

supafly wrote:Gentlemen,

Would you be so kind as to leave details of recommended London cobblers in this post. Please also indicate if repairs of shoes made by other shoemakers are undertaken.

Thank you
I think the lack of replies to your question probably reflects how few proper cobblers (as opposed to heel bars) survive in central London. (I assume you mean central London.)

I have a local man now, but when I lived in Marylebone I used a man on the north side of Tottenham Street near the Middlesex Hospital. There was also a shop around the corner in Goodge Street that did repairs but also sold an interesting selection of, I think, mainly Grensons. I am afraid I am not certain that either stil exists.

You might like to try John Ruston on Wimpole Street. If you do not know him already, John is not a cobbler but a retailer who specializes in seconds and end of ranges, and also has a line made up to his own specifications by (I think) Alfred Sargent. They go for about £185 a pair. John is passionate about shoes and happy to share his knowledge. He takes in repairs and I am certain would not act as an agent for a repair man who did not share his own high standards.

Trimmer
Des Esseintes

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:55 am

Supafly

James Taylor & Sons, bespoke shoemakers in Paddington Street (off Marylebone High Street), also offer pretty high quality shoe repairs (at even higher prices though).
http://www.taylormadeshoes.co.uk/

I believe a few years ago there was also a cobbler on Old Street, opposite the Western Eye Hospital, who offered good quality repairs at rather reasonable prices, called The London Cobbler or similar - haven't used them for several years so cannot comment on their current work.

You may want to try one of them. I would also second the recommendation for Rushton on Wimpole Street.

dE
  • Information