Leather Slippers - modern or old fashioned?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Dorian271

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Hello,

what do you think about wearing Leather Slippers at home?
Is this still modern, or old fashioned?
What do you prefer? The backless or the ones which are closed at the back?

Thanks for your feedback.
DonB

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:29 pm

Dorian271 wrote:Hello,

Timeless, as far as I am concerned. I would prefer the ones which are closed at the back, but that is only a personal preference. The trouble is that I can not find a retailer that has them.

I suppose the majority would regard them as old fashioned if one takes into account their limited availability nowadays.

Regards,
Don
Dorian271

Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:36 pm

Please have a look into this two Webpages.
Herring Shoes are selling Slippers from Chruch and Pediwear from Trickers and Draper of Glastonbury.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

DonB wrote:
Dorian271 wrote:Hello,

Timeless, as far as I am concerned. I would prefer the ones which are closed at the back, but that is only a personal preference. The trouble is that I can not find a retailer that has them.

I suppose the majority would regard them as old fashioned if one takes into account their limited availability nowadays.

Regards,
Don
DonB

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:37 pm

Dorian271 wrote:Please have a look into this two Webpages.
Herring Shoes are selling Slippers from Chruch and Pediwear from Trickers and Draper of Glastonbury.

http://www.pediwear.co.uk
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/
Hello,

First off, I would like to thank you for the websites you provided. The models on display are close to what I like in a slipper, but they are not quite attractive to me for two reasons:
  1. I would say that brown is a color more fit for the purpose (as opposed to black or wine).
  2. I would like my slippers to be made out of one piece instead of being joined together midway.
Regards,
Don
stbdtack

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:57 pm

so. . .how about these -- http://tinyurl.com/e6shd
risto

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:53 am

I'm a convert after receiving a pair of Acqua Di Parma yellow leather slippers as a present. I now wear them almost every day at home. And while they do have a closed back, one can just step and collapse the back part to make them backless. You can get them apparently at the main Douglas on Kaertnerstrasse in Vienna.
Arpey

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Prefer leather slippers with leather soles (I wear Church's Ajax to be specific) rather than suede soles as seen in the Brooks advertisement. An advantage when going outside to pick up the paper on damp days.
Last edited by Arpey on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonB

Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:23 pm

stbdtack wrote:so. . .how about these -- http://tinyurl.com/e6shd
Hello Stbdtack,

Certainly getting there, apart from the soles being made from suede. The Church's mentioned by Arpey are interesting indeed. Burgundy strikes me as an apt color for the purpose.
risto wrote:I'm a convert after receiving a pair of Acqua Di Parma yellow leather slippers as a present
Would you be so kind to post an image of your present? I am quite curious about the slippers you are describing. My retailer in men's clothing does sell the shaving line of AdP, but they tend to plaster their brand name all over their products (as far as the shaving range is concerned). I wonder if they chose a more subtle approach on their footwear.

Regards,
Don
T4phage

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:26 pm

I personally don't like many of the slipper options that were present above. I much prefer this type (the picture was lightened to bring out the details):

iammatt

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:41 pm

T4-
Those are quite nice.

I generally use Tods around the house as I have no fear of going to the garden or out to get the paper.
DonB

Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:38 am

I have finally found a pair of slippers which I considers suitable:

Perhaps they are of interest to those who are of the opinion that leather slippers are timeless. The slippers can be acquired through Pediwear.co.uk, make and model: Barker Laurel.

Regards,
Don
storeynicholas

Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 pm

I think that the style immediately above is often called the Albert style and, certainly, Tricker's do these in velvet or leather as well as leather cutaway Grecian style. They used to do a great little RTW number in turkey red and I got through only 2 pairs in 20 years. However, now you would have to ask for bespoke or special order on a standard last for the red versions. Velvet slippers, for someone who moves around as much as I do, are a disaster.
NJS
DonB

Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:25 pm

storeynicholas wrote:I think that the style immediately above is often called the Albert style and, certainly, Tricker's do these in velvet or leather as well as leather cutaway Grecian style. They used to do a great little RTW number in turkey red and I got through only 2 pairs in 20 years. However, now you would have to ask for bespoke or special order on a standard last for the red versions. Velvet slippers, for someone who moves around as much as I do, are a disaster.
NJS
I do indeed have got velvet slippers and the lining shows considerable wear after only using them for about one year.

The main reason why I have ordered these is because the velvet slippers are too warm to be worn comfortably during summer.

Regards,
Don
storeynicholas

Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm

One summer option is oriental slippers (in Urdu and Punjabi called chupli), made of wire-embroidered leather, and worn without socks. They don't have heels but if you find a pair that fits you well, they are cool and comfortable. There are Asian areas of London which sell these (as well as shops in the countries of origin) - and maybe near you too. They don't all have the curled up toe and they are durable and amazingly economical. Of course, Shelock Holmes used to keep his tobacco in such as slipper!!
NJS
Edward Bainbridge

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:35 pm

I wear slippers at home, too, but I find I step on traditionally cut trousers. How do you handle that? I don't think I've ever seen slippers with a heel or a sole that's high enough.
  • Information