Linen Suit from the Harrisons Mersolair range

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

whittaker

Sat May 13, 2006 7:18 pm

I've just posted a picture here of a summer suit I had made for a recent break in Bermuda.

The fabric is from the Harrisons' Mersolair range, 54% mohair and 46% linen. As you can see from the picture, it wrinkles but not quite in the same way as linen.

This is my first pale linen suit and I am a little bothered about the visibility of the trouser pockets. Is this inevitable or do members ever have linen suits made without trouser pockets to avoid this look?

The sleeves are too long and will need raising by three-quarters of an inch. I was expecting more creasing at the arms and for the sleeves to ride up the arm more than they actually did.

I'm not anticipating wearing the coat and trousers together often. Both fit well in combination with a number of other items in my wardrobe.

Comments and suggestions for consideration next time are welcome.
TVD

Sun May 14, 2006 1:07 am

Beautiful colour. Hope summer comes along soon.

Unless you wish to solidly line the trousers with something heavy, there is little that can be done. Removing the pockets will only help to a point, because your shirt and briefs or boxer shorts will then show through in the same way.

I will gladly hear of a miracle cure, but this is something I have had to accept when ordering leightweight pale fabrics.
MildlyConsumptiv

Sun May 14, 2006 3:18 pm

I also like the colour. As well, the buttons look very nice. They are horn? To what degree is the jacket lined?
whittaker

Sun May 14, 2006 4:09 pm

ibucephalus wrote:I also like the colour. As well, the buttons look very nice. They are horn? To what degree is the jacket lined?
Thank you. Yes, they are horn buttons. The coat is lined in the front and at the top of the back.
pchong

Tue May 16, 2006 6:19 am

I am sorry, I don't see the picture...I just collected a new suit in almost natural linen, half lined...will post pictures later when I get home. And am very interested to see yours. Thanks.
whittaker

Tue May 16, 2006 7:48 am

pchong wrote:I am sorry, I don't see the picture...I just collected a new suit in almost natural linen, half lined...will post pictures later when I get home. And am very interested to see yours. Thanks.
If you click on the text, ".. a picture here .." in the first line of my post at the top of this page, it will link you with the picture in my members gallery.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
BenedictSpinola

Tue May 16, 2006 4:38 pm

I like it very much, but would agree with your comments on the sleeve length. Another Hitchcock?
whittaker

Tue May 16, 2006 7:01 pm

BenedictSpinola wrote:Another Hitchcock?
Not this time, though I am jolly excited about a natural linen suit that Hitchcock is making for me at the moment.

This was another Sam Arkus project. I am pleased with how it has turned out. They made the suit within a short period of time as I wanted to wear it in Bermuda. I had mixed expectations, particularly for an unstructured suit of this sort. Generally, they surpassed my expectations. Shorter and a little more tapered sleeves, a tad more roll and width to the lapel and I my pleasure would have upgraded to delight.
pchong

Wed May 17, 2006 8:29 am

nice...I like the colour...mine is rather more sandy colour...I prefer yours - more creamy. I will post some pictures of mine next week.
pchong

Tue May 30, 2006 1:57 am

As promised, here are somee photographs of mine...I will have some taken with me wearing the suit later, but for the meantime, here is the suit on hangers and on the floor to show the 3./4 construction. I had wanted it to be in 1/4, but somehow the tailor did not follow instrucitons, and made it 3/4. The suit is quite comfortable.

• Information