Monochromatic

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Mr. Di Liberti

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:09 am

I'm taking my girl to an upscale Norther Italian restaurant tomorrow evening.

I would like to dress in all black, flannel suit, cotton shirt and silk tie. The color of all four pieces is dead on the same, the texture's are not. The suit is soft and fuzzy, the shirt is crisp and smooth, the tie soft and smooth.

Is there enough contrast in texture to pull of this look?

Anthony
Connemara

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:34 am

Personally, I dislike monochromatic looks, but texture is key. Are you wearing a pocket square with the ensemble? You mentioned four pieces, but only listed three.
Mr. Di Liberti

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:54 am

Two piece suit, shirt and tie, four pieces.

As to a pocket square, my options are limited to black silk, white linen or none at all.

Anthony
Connemara

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:03 am

My apologies, Mr. Di Liberti, I didn't think that through!

Now, what to do with this pocket square dilemma. My gut instinct says go for a well-folded Irish linen, but it may be too severe a detour from the monochromatic theme. Then again, we may face a paradox: can white linen be too severe?

Ah, a conundrum that I fear I am unable to solve. The more experienced sartorialists should be able to help.
Kylawyer

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:52 pm

It seems to me you're going for severe. Go with white linen, I'd say. The fold is something I'm less sure of. a soft puff of white to mimic the suit, or a thin straight line of white to echo the sharpness of the shirt and tie?

Post a picture, if you have the inclination and the capacity.
DD MacDonald

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:58 pm

White linen will have a lot of contrast to the overall outfit and draw attention away from the ensemble. Ivory in linen or silk or a gray might answer handsomely. A puff rather than a fold might give the necessary elan. Keep the pocket square quiet and all will be well.

DDM
Mr. Di Liberti

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:41 pm

Anthony
Last edited by Mr. Di Liberti on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Costi

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:52 pm

I beg for the more knowledgeable LL members' pardon in advance if my imagination is too limited, but isn't this a single breasted shawl collar dinner jacket? The trouser probably doesn't have a silk braid (because the shawl lapel is self-faced), which might cause one to think of the ansamble as a "suit", were it not for the shawl collar (I haven't seen this in black yet, though). Does the trouser hang from braces, or does it have belt loops (it shouldn't, in my opinion)?
If I am not mistaken with the above observations, then I would say the tie is "from another movie" and the shawl collar calls for a black bow tie. You couldn't possibly be persuaded to disrupt this black ensemble in any way, could you?
hlambert

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Sorry, but this so called 'monochromatic look' surely is the ultimate in bad taste and not a look for a gentleman under any circumstances. Smacks of cheap looking Hollywood actors wearing 'four in hand' ties because they are unable to tie a bow tie with there 'black tie' evening wear. Totally sad and completely unforgiveable on the London Lounge.
Mr. Di Liberti

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:13 pm

Please pardon my error.

The more I think about it, the less I care for it. As such, have decided on a crisp white shirt.

Single breasted yes, dinner jacket no, the pants no have a silk or satin braid. It is in fact a suit.

I wear all suit/dress pants with braces never a belt.

Anthony
rip

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:54 pm

hlambert wrote:Sorry, but this so called 'monochromatic look' surely is the ultimate in bad taste and not a look for a gentleman under any circumstances. Smacks of cheap looking Hollywood actors wearing 'four in hand' ties because they are unable to tie a bow tie with there 'black tie' evening wear. Totally sad and completely unforgiveable on the London Lounge.
If this is "unforgiveable", then thank God for Grace and Mercy! You would do well to think twice before presenting such an issue before the almighty mavens of taste on this forum again. No matter what the ensemble, there are those who will surely shoot you down, as hlambert has done. In this instance, unless your self-esteem is well-fed and strong (which I doubt, since you seemed to need the approbation of LL members), you will now feel far too uncomfortable to ever wear this outfit which, though it might take a bit of doing, could certainly be pulled off. The "ultimate in bad taste" is surely hlambert's response, not your outfit.
hlambert

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:08 pm

I am sorry but a true Gentleman would never dress in such a cheap way. The recent Hollywood Oscars was the perfect example of a significant number of misguided thesbians wearing totally unsuitable attire. I do not retract a single word and I am surprised that this sort of topic finds its way on the London Lounge when Ask Andy would indeed be a better forum for this type of nonsense and I am sure they would welcome you with open arms.
Costi

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:27 am

Dear Mr. H, since you insist I feel urged to express the legitimate opinion that purposefully and openly offending a guest (because this is what Anthony must have felt like after such a brief period of membership) in your own house, even if what you say is true, is considered much less gentlemanly (to be euphemistic) than having an uninspired dressing idea (of which being unsure one asks for advice, which is in itself a proof of aprioric
reverent esteem that is not to be repaid in such an ungracious manner). Certainly I cannot presume to give anyone here lessons in manners, I just ellaborated on rip's idea, but actually assuming you were aware of these aspects would be an aggravant.
Incroyable

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:58 am

Fred Astaire used to wear a monochromatic blue look, which he would coordinate with a solid colored handkerchief.
  • Information