crockett & jones vs edward green

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
pur_sang

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:03 pm

This has probably been discussed many times before in general, but I believe my concern is an unique one.

I want a pair of double monk straps, I like the CJ model with the cap toe, but they don't make that in the handgrade leather and craftmanship. If I order that style in handgrade, it will exceed (slightly) the price of a pair of EG double monk strap.

Do you think the handgrade CJ is comparable in quality to EG?
alden

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:43 pm

If its a double buckle you are after, give this one a look:

http://www.johnlobb.com/fr/#/Ready-To-W ... e_a_boucle

EG and CJ (handgrade) are very similar in quality with a slight nod to EG overall.

Cheers
yialabis

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Or you can try Carmina .. made to order for more or less the same price in cordovan , I think less actually ..

regards
Vassilis
Bishop of Briggs

Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:02 pm

alden wrote:If its a double buckle you are after, give this one a look:

http://www.johnlobb.com/fr/#/Ready-To-W ... e_a_boucle

EG and CJ (handgrade) are very similar in quality with a slight nod to EG overall.

Cheers
If you need a wide fitting, EG has little to offer. :(
pur_sang

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:47 pm

Thank you for all the advice. Those carminas look very nice, can I get them in London?

These are the CJs I'm thinking of ordering them in 'handgrade'

http://crockettandjones.co.uk/monkshoes-lownde.html

I tried the EGs, and my feet aren't big, but it fit a bit tight or a bit long between sizes. I guess deep down, I like the look and fit of the CJs more, but as the members of these forum are probably all very conscious of buying the best product for their money, just wanted to know whether a special order handgrade CJ are worth it.

Personally, from what I can tell, the CJ handgrade look just as good if not better than EG, but this might be due to my limited knowledge.

Will someone be able to elaborate on what is it that EG does better?
uppercase

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:04 pm

I like the Lobb.
But I am not sure which is the nicer: the William I or II?
And is the 'buffalo' leather on the William I, actually buffalo or is it stamped calf?
pur_sang

Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:36 pm

I forgot to say, I like the JL too, although I think I prefer the simplicity of the William instead of the William II. Somehow the stitched 'cap toe' seem a little strange, maybe I should go and take a look.
yialabis

Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:08 am

Those carminas look very nice, can I get them in London
No you can't unfortunately . You will have to contact them and ask them to make them for you ..
In case you want to do that ..

Miguel Font

Directeur France

Tél: +33 1 42 96 54 08

Fax:+33 1 42 96 54 38

Carmina Shoemaker

Albaladejo Paris Blog

Regards
Vassilis
MaestroUK10

Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 pm

I am interested in some of the replies on this following my own topic entry elsewhere on the forum.

I am looking for a pair of shoes to wear for a huge amount of walking and ones that will stay comfy and look ok and last the period. Crocket and jones ready made may well be ideal at teh right price to buy two pairs, though i ususally wear EG, but C&J I think are slightly cheaper?

As i said elsewhere, suggestions welcome :-)
couch

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:26 am

I've found the basic C&J Grasmere derby in the Dainite sole to be a very durable, comfortable, and sturdy shoe for extended country walking, and it will take a nice patina with time and repeated polishing. The double Dainite sole and storm welt make it very damp resistant, though it lacks full veldtschoen construction so is not completely waterprooof. I believe in your earlier post you specified a boot, however; if so this may not offer the ankle support you desire. The Grasmere comes in a C fitting, which is a requirement that rules out many other RTW models for me. They are not especially light in weight, but not so heavy as something like the Weston Chasse.
bengal-stripe

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:26 am

uppercase wrote:And is the 'buffalo' leather on the William I, actually buffalo or is it stamped calf?
I did ask that very question a few years back in the Jermyn Street shop. The 'buffalo' is stamped (embossed) calf.
It is neither water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) nor American bison/buffalo (Bison bison).

And I had thought, it might have been the beasts who produce mozzarella di bufala. :D

Rolf
  • Information