Shaving soap

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Trey

Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Preferred shaving soaps have previously been discussed. Most seemingly are somewhat scented. Do the members have a preferred relatively unscented shaving soap?

Trey
storeynicholas

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:22 pm

I like Taylor's almond scented.
NJS
uppercase

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:35 pm

I have stopped shaving some years ago but generally the English shaving soaps are so delightfully and delicately scented that I cannot but help feel that using an English scented soap is a wonderful way to finish one's daily grooming ritual.
Costi

Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:04 am

I have yet to find something better than Santa Maria Novella. It's more of a hard cream tham a soap, without any scent other than that of the natural plant extracts it contains: menthol, eucalyptus and herbs. They make for a classic, subtle but invigorating scent. Not to mention it whips into a rich lather, makes the blade glide effortlessly and leaves the skin moisturised and supple.
storeynicholas

Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Costi - sounds good I'll have to find some.
NJS
bluscuro

Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:24 am

I have, like most on this board, searched for a superior shaving cream. I have been using D.R.Harris&CoLtd for the last five years (Arlington scent). The fragrance is verysubdued and masculine and the formula gives an excellent creamy lather .

bluscuro
RWS

Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:47 am

I'll second the D. R. Harris, though I no longer can find it.
andreyb

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:02 pm

I wonder, are there any online retailers offering Santa Maria Novella products?

RWS, DR Harris' soaps are available via many online sources; for example, Carter & Bond sells them: http://www.carterandbond.com/brands/D-R-Harris.phtml.

Andrey
DonB

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:55 pm

andreybokhanko wrote:I wonder, are there any online retailers offering Santa Maria Novella products?

RWS, DR Harris' soaps are available via many online sources; for example, Carter & Bond sells them: http://www.carterandbond.com/brands/D-R-Harris.phtml.

Andrey
I do participate in a Dutch forum and when discussing Santa Maria Novella another user pointed me to this site:

http://www.liannetioparfums.nl/index-nl.php

In the picture below, click on the word 'Engels' encircled in red to access the English version of the site. If there is no reseller who is located more conveniently, perhaps you can enquire if they will ship abroad?

Kind regards,
Don
Trey

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:48 am

Santa Maria Novella can be purchased online at eluxury.com. I just placed an order. I welcome testing Costi's recommendation.

Trey
Costi

Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:48 am

Here is a list of SMN's shops and distributors: http://www.smnovella.it/concessionari.html

For best results try the SMN cream together with their "emulsione analcolica", which makes for an excellent light, herb-scented aftershave balm.
When travelling I use their "crema pre-dopo barba". It is a thick, greasy cream that substitutes the shaving cream softening the hairs and providing lubrication for the blade. Reapplied after the shave it nourishes the skin and soothes any irritation. This great "all-in-one" spares me of carrying a large jar of cream (SMN only offers it in 250 ml jars), the shaving brush and a bottle of aftershave.
pemazel

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Trey wrote:Santa Maria Novella can be purchased online at eluxury.com. I just placed an order. I welcome testing Costi's recommendation.

Trey
''or at www.manufactum.com - a beautiful on-line-shop anyway: check socks, shirts, etc.

P.
Trey

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Gentlemen -

My Santa Maria Novella arrived. I must confess that it is a superb product that I highly recommend! I thank you and my face thanks you for this wonderful recommendation. Now if I can only learn how to use a straight razor around my Adam's apple. . .

Trey
Costi

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Trey, I find myself right in the process of learning this. I must say I find it less difficult than I feared it might be and, with the exception of a small nick under my chin (due to the fact I got carried away with how easily I shaved my cheeks the first time off and discarded advice not to proceed to more difficult areas of the face before gaining some confidence with the razor), I also find it less dangerous during the learning period than advertised by some people / fora. Actually Adam's apple is not the most difficult area - the chin and going against the grain on the upper lip are the two steps I find most risky.
Perhaps Sator can teach us more in this respect (too) :)

The SMN cream is quite somethings, I am glad you like it. When you can, also try their "crema pre-dopo barba", it gives an excellent shave with the least possible irritation of all creams and soaps I ever tried. It seems to wear out the blade more quickly, but that is not a matter of concern with a double edge or a straight razor.
whyescalar

Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:27 pm

Taylor's of Old Bond Street Lavender. Hard soap.
  • Information