Fine dining in Munich

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Scot

Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Restaurant recommendations in Munich would be much appreciated. All cuisines considered :D
Luca

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:55 am

First and foremost, I would suggest a couple of visits to the traditional characteristic beer hall-type places. Ones I've enjoyed include:
- Hofbräuhaus München
- Der Pschorr

If you have time, a visit to the Nymphenburg Palace, on the outskirts is highly recommended.
Richard3

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 am

Also the Spatenhaus just opposite the opera for traditional bavarian stuff.
Man at C&A

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:42 pm

I lived and worked in Munich for the 3 years around the turn of the century. Now 15 years is a long time but a quick check of Google tells me that Broeding is still going strong and I'd be keen to return if and when I get the chance to visit again. I'd concur with Richard that a visit to the Spatenhaus is simply essential to get a real sense of the city. I'd also recommend the Augustiner Keller, which in my day was a devil to get in to being so packed with locals.

The Hofbrauhaus I regarded as a tourist trap and little better than the Hard Rock Cafe situated opposite.
davidhuh

Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:39 am

Dear Scot,

the Hofbräuhaus is definitely a tourist trap. Avoid it. Better go to Franziskaner at Residenzstrasse. The centre of political life in Munich, so to speak. Extremely popular, down-to-earth, very reasonable prices.

Another tourist trap, but this time one I would highly recommend, is Dallmayr. Fine dining, gourmet shop, great wine department. They might pluck you :lol: - but in a nice way :D

Finally, probably the best shoe shop in Germany: Eduard Meier, Brienner Str 10. Don 't miss it!

And before I forget it: there is a great shop for hand made brushes at Viktualienmarkt, called "Holzleute". And you should also enjoy strolling through the market itself.

I just realise you asked for food tips only. But I cannot miss the opportunity recommending some good craft shops 8)

Cheers, David (in Munich right now, but without time for any of these treats...)
emde

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:22 am

To add some recommendations from my side: I would also advise to avoid the Hofbräuhaus except for summer when you can sit in the Biergarten located in the inner courtyard. For local Bavarian specialties, I would recommend the Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom, which is next to the cathedral. Some fine French cuisine you can get at Les Deux, which is between Marienplatz and Odeonsplatz located in the Fünf Höfe

Cheers
Scot

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you gentlemen. The concierge at The Charles is steering me towards Tantris and Limoni. Any views?
Richard3

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:48 am

Tantris is indeed a good tip but it`s not traditional bavarian cuisine if that is what you are after...
alden

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:26 am

I would definitely suggest the Bratwurst Glöckl am Dom for the great food and beer served fresh from wooden kegs.
Scot

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:29 am

Richard3 wrote:Tantris is indeed a good tip but it`s not traditional bavarian cuisine if that is what you are after...
I will be there 2 or 3 days, so I can sample widely :D
emde

Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:45 am

Tantris is an Haute Cuisine classic in Munich, 2 Michelin stars (at least 2 stars since 1974) and the exterior and interior are 1970's classics. The building itself is (although built in 1971 only) already listed as monument. It is not in the city centre though.
Here for some impressions: http://www.tantris.de/en/
Sammyo77

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33 pm

I agree with the recommendation of Dallmayr, though, whether for fine dining, coffee and cake or groceries.

Like others, I prefer more traditional places though cannot agree with the HB-Haus recommendation - it is an interesting place to see but the food is awful and it really is full of tourists (alongside a few truly authentic locals). I prefer Spatenhaus and Pfistermühle. My favourite beer gardens are Seehaus, Augustiner Keller and Hofbräukeller.

I can also strongly recommend Tian, an upmarket vegetarian restaurant next to the Viktualienmarkt.

HristoStefanov

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 am

I somehow missed this thread in November.
I live in Munich, so I could give some tips. Most of the restaurants mentioned above are in the city center and are mostly targeted at the huge number of tourists visiting Munich.
For traditional German food a little bit on the outside try:
- Restaurant Königlicher Hirschgarten. You have deers in the garden (you may feed them) and deers on the menu.
- Restaurant Rosengarten (if you visit Munich in spring or in the summer).
- The above mentioned places like Augustiner Keller, Löwenbräukeller, Spattenbräu are all ok. Locals would rather go to them for a beer instead of going to Hofbräukeller.
And when you are fed up with German food, get some Italian at Ristorante Romans.
If you like spare ribs you might want to try Rusticana (reservation needed + you might want to leave the bespoke clothes at the hotel :-)).
If you want something small like Crepes you can try Creperie Bernard et Bernard. I don't know a better creperie inside and outside of Germany.
For ice cream check Der verrückte Eismacher or True & 12 or del fiore or Ballabeni at Theresienstraße.

You might want to visit the wonderful lakes on the outside of Munich:
-> Starnberger See - great place to be for a drink on sunset is Orange Beach at Undosa (good for drinks, bad for food). Magnificent landscape:
http://images.portal.muenchen.de/upload ... detail.png
-> Ammersee - there is a wonderful restaurant in Herrsching on the Ammersee - Seehof Restaurant.

Keep in mind that most restaurants in Munich don't server warm food after 21:30 or 22:00.
Sammyo77

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Hristo - my reference to Hofbräukeller was to the place near Wiener Platz (not the Hofbräuhaus am Platzl) - whenever I have been there it has been charming and full of locals having a beer.

To add to Hristo's recommendations for traditional food out of the centre, we always go to Restaurant August & Maria at Brauereigasthof Aying. The food and ambience are terrific and the beer is unbeatable.
HristoStefanov

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:31 am

Sammyo77 wrote:Hristo - my reference to Hofbräukeller was to the place near Wiener Platz (not the Hofbräuhaus am Platzl) - whenever I have been there it has been charming and full of locals having a beer.
Hi! Thank you for the correction! I have not been in Hofbräukeller, but it looks good.
And it is next to the creperie I recommended above.

Best regards
Hristo
  • Information