Train travel

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
NJS

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Interesting that Coward often travelled by train, despite his fame. Isn't that Charing Cross station?
NJS
hectorm

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:47 pm

NJS wrote: Isn't that Charing Cross station?
NJS
Actually it´s Waterloo (not that I could tell myself but according to the AP photograph)
NJS

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:10 pm

hectorm wrote:
NJS wrote: Isn't that Charing Cross station?
NJS
Actually it´s Waterloo (not that I could tell myself but according to the AP photograph)
Thanks, Hector. I v=can see it now.
NJS
alden

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:09 am

Travel by train used to be wonderful and it is still a very practical way to go...Eurostar is a good example.

Train travel used to be luxurious and even intoxicating. I will never forget a voyage on the Orient Express when I was a teen. I can still feel moments from that trip as if it were yesterday.

Cheers
NJS

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:00 am

alden wrote:Travel by train used to be wonderful and it is still a very practical way to go...Eurostar is a good example.

Train travel used to be luxurious and even intoxicating. I will never forget a voyage on the Orient Express when I was a teen. I can still feel moments from that trip as if it were yesterday.

Cheers
There are some wonderful railway journeys to be had, even in the UK - the Paddington to Penzance run is wonderful, for a start; a friend recently reminded me that I used to say that the best view of London was from the window of a train sliding out of Paddington station - the home run. The run from Islamabad to Lahore is great too, spiced by the possibility of the intervention of mountain brigands. The Flying Scotsman to Edinburgh is certainly a good way to see the changing scenery of England and Scotland and even many of the shorter trips out of Charing Cross, Waterloo, and London Bridge to Sussex and Kent can make a memorable day out.
NJS
hectorm

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 am

May I add the journey from Glasgow to Mallaig aboard the Jacobite steam train through the most breathtaking Highland terrain? Beyond the "Harry Potter" familiarity, you'll love the ride (and enjoy very much the fishing town at the end of the line).
NJS

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 am

hectorm wrote:May I add the journey from Glasgow to Mallaig aboard the Jacobite steam train through the most breathtaking Highland terrain? Beyond the "Harry Potter" familiarity, you'll love the ride (and enjoy very much the fishing town at the end of the line).
Thank you, Hector, I shall go on it one day!
NJS
BirdofSydney

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

The Japanese know a thing or two about journeys by train. And I'm not just talking the shinkansen which is very functional and quite pleasant, but search for the 'Six Stars' and you will see what I mean...
hectorm

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:52 pm

BirdofSydney wrote: , but search for the 'Six Stars' and you will see what I mean...
Do you mean Seven Stars, dont´you? Or is it there an old one?
Rob O

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 pm

May I recommend Michael Portillo's series 'Great Continental Railway Journeys', accessible via YouTube.

Michael Portillo travels on the great train routes of Europe, as he retraces the journeys featured in George Bradshaw's 1913 Continental Railway Guide.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuQvVce7mBE
Last edited by Rob O on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_DR

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 pm

Its only on a handful of services, but the Pullman dining car was recently reintroduced on the London - Penzance route:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/your ... rd/pullman

a write up can be found here from the aforementioned Mr Portillo:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/10 ... urney.html
  • Information