Luggage

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
jlazarow

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi all,

I am in need of some new luggage, my old tumi bag has finally bit th dust. I intend this bag to be checked, so no need for goregous trunks! But I wanted to gather your advice on bags you all use!
Simon A

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:59 pm

I use a Zero Halliburton aluminium case, which is sturdy, practical and looks fine, in a minimalist Bauhaus kind of way. The wheels are well designed, protected by the base of the case and almost impossible to break, while allowing 360 degree manoeuvring. I also use an old fashioned leather suitcase made by Saddleback Leather in Mexico; while the finish is quite plain and rugged, it can take a lot of punishment from careless baggage handlers and taxi drivers, and many people comment on the character of such a retro piece.

Swaine Adeney Brigg make some of the most beautiful luggage I have seen, but I would be afraid to check it in at the airport...
cathach

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Below is a piece carried by a German emporium from a Czech maker:

http://www.manufactum.com/Artikel/85763 ... trips.html

I've no idea what they're like but I love the look of them.
Concordia

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Rimowa Salsa is a convenient bag. The thin shell helps squeeze through some of the weight limits, and the four wheels make moving around quite simple. One of mine has a corner bashed in, but that doesn't really affect the inside capacity.
davidhuh

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:51 pm

cathach wrote:Below is a piece carried by a German emporium from a Czech maker:

http://www.manufactum.com/Artikel/85763 ... trips.html

I've no idea what they're like but I love the look of them.
Dear Cathach,

they look very nice, but material here is cardboard. Manufactum is proposing them mainly for storage.

kind regards, david
jlazarow

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 am

I love the look of the Swaine luggage, but I could not check it. Car trip, however are a different story. I am in London at the end of the month, so i will check out SAB.

I am leaning towards the Rimowa although the zero haliburtin seems sturdy!
ethandesu

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 am

My wife and i both use Rimowa in the aluminum finish, and love them. They pack well, close easily, and take abuse with all the stoicism you could hope. I had mine sent to Sydney from Hawaii, where a friend sells them, and rather than nix them up, he stuck the details on the luggage and posted it as, with only the wheels and locks taped up. They arrived with great character, and the newness rubbed off of them, but still functionally in perfect condition. I highly recommend them for a bag you can check and forget.

Desu
culverwood

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:03 am

Try Globetrotter. They are light and robust. Go for a basic mode and use your own security belt.
Costi

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:21 am

ethandesu wrote:I had mine sent to Sydney from Hawaii, where a friend sells them, and rather than nix them up, he stuck the details on the luggage and posted it as, with only the wheels and locks taped up. They arrived with great character, and the newness rubbed off of them, but still functionally in perfect condition.
You got your bag already well-travelled and looking it. That's the best luggage service one can expect! :)
davidhuh

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm

ethandesu wrote:My wife and i both use Rimowa in the aluminum finish, and love them. They pack well, close easily, and take abuse with all the stoicism you could hope.

Desu
Travelling a lot, I have used Rimowa from the aluminium range for more than 20 years. It is awesome, loves to get scratched, gets a nice patina over time, and their repair service is great. As too many people are having Rimowa where I live, I switched to Globetrotter about 18 months ago, and I am equally happy with it.

David
Jordan Marc

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Whether made of metal, leather or soft-sided material, the luggage you choose should ideally be chosen to withstand the rigors of baggage handlers and arrive at your destination in one piece.
Smart travelers send their bags ahead to their temporary homes or hotels via UPS or Fedex. It's well worth the price and alleviates the hassle of having to schlep heavy luggage off the carousel
after a long flight or an inteminal wait to deplane at the gate. By the same token, prearrange to be met by a car service at the airport. Of all the types of luggage extant, I prefer the rugged canvas
and leather bags made by Filson. Give 'em a Google. They've been outfitting travelers, adventurers
and photographers for a long time, with few complaints from those who made it back alive.

JMB
Canuck

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 pm

I use a Heys product made in Canada from Polycarbonate (Hays information says that the polycarbonate is made in Germany).
I travel extensively and the Hays has stood up very well.
The cases are very similar to the Rimowa product with a 10 year warranty costing considerably less.
Hays web site is www.heys.ca/flash/
If you like the Rimowa product, Hays, if you can get in the U.K.could be an alternative.

Canuck
Simon A

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:05 am

Beware of check-in luggage with outside pockets, drug smugglers operating inside airports often use innocent passengers' bags as a "mule" for international transport, and will leave you to face the consequences if discovered by the authorities. Either lock the pockets or choose a hard-shelled case.

For car travel, I could heartily endorse Marc's suggestion of Filson baggage, it is rugged and well finished. You could also look for a genuine Chopper Bag http://www.leathergoods.com.au/chopper.htm, an Australian duffle bag designed to be strapped to the skids of a single-seater helicopter, used by pilots while aerial-mustering cattle in the remote north.
These are very well made, rugged, waterproof (leather base and double-layer canvas construction), neatly finished, come in many colours and are inexpensive.
Simon A

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:13 pm

By the way, Dominant Leathergoods can make all-leather Chopper Bags to order, if you require, and you can ask for special leathers. Being located Downunder, Buffalo and Kangaroo leathers might be options....but Bunyip and Drop-Bear leather is in short supply after the drought.
BirdofSydney

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Has anyone seen the Rimowa 'Stealth' models, in black anodised aluminium? I think that they could either be handsome, or trying too hard. I am worried by the current vogue for matte black-on-black sportscars.

The Lufthansa branded Rimowas with leather trim also look nice:

https://www.worldshop.eu/product/Luftha ... /1740519?7
  • Information