Gin

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
storeynicholas

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Plymouth is the only one really acceptable, in naval terms, for a pre prandial large pink gin. Otherwise there's also Seager's and Gilbey's (not, so far mentioned).
Nicholas.
Trey

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:47 pm

For martini's I strongly prefer Plymouth first and then Hendrick's second. I prefer mine stirred with a twist with a couple of vermouth soaked olives (Haddon house makes excellent ones!) on the side. The vermouth soaked olives are not nearly as "briney" as regular olives soaked in brine. Rather than vermouth, I use either Lillet Blanc or a splash of vermouth from the bottle of vermouth soaked olives. I will occassionally substitue cocktail onions for olives when I am in the mood for a Gibson.

Because so few bars stock Hendrick's and especially Plymouth, at least in the Southeastern United States, I ask bartenders to add a splash of Stoli to my gin martini if I am forced to drink a martini made with the usual suspects - Beefeater, Bombay, Tanqueray, etc. A bartender at the country club to which I belong keeps a bottle of Plymouth for me, which I gladly try to turn others on to.

Interestingly, for summertime sipping, I much prefer Tanqueray 10 in my gin and tonics. I really have found no better substitute - not even Hendrick's or Plymouth.

Is it 5:00 somewhere yet?

Trey
  • Information