Preparing for a new Depression

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Jordan Marc

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:38 am

Carl:

I thought 'bipolar' referred to genderbender bears in the north country.

When speaking of the world markets, schitzophrenic and looney tunes are more apt terms. What we're experiencing is the shock of change. You cannot effect change without creating chaos. That's where shock comes in. It's a disruption, a jolt, frightening, and plenty potent. I have no doubt humankind will eventually survive this economic disaster. Change is good!

JMB
carl browne

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:35 pm

JMB

No, no, no, no, no!

That would be gay/lesbian/bisexual and transgendered polar bears. I confess to being a little shocked at your lack of sensitivity.

I was referring to the condition known as Bipolar Disorder, also known a manic/depressive disorder, a condition Ben Graham and Warren Buffet attribute to "Mister Market."

I apologize for creating any confusion. I live within forty miles of Hollywood, so naturally have more than a passing familiarity with most forms of mental illness. I should have taken note of the fact that other members of this forum do not live in communities where psychotherapy is a Right of Passage.
HappyStroller

Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 am

What a coincidence. I understand H.M. the Queen delivered a Christmas Day address with a similar theme. Sir, you don't happen by chance to be one of Her Majesty's Privy Councillor, do you? :wink:
sartorius wrote:HS - I think we must show what we Brits like to call "Dunkirk Spirit". That is to say, facing down adversity with straight back, stiff upper lip and, most importantly, by pulling together.
...<snipped>...
HappyStroller

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 am

Sir, I go without any heating of any kind at all during Winter. In fact, my bed quilt and cover, bed sheet, pillow cases plus another bed quilt and cover just above the bed mattress are totally made of silk material. During the day, I go around in an extremely comfortable silk velvet smoking jacket whose inside is lined with raw silk fibre. Of course the use of such luxorious materials while living in a house cannot be compared with the contrasting use of only thick cotton padding by the admirable hardy Chinese peasants living in unheated houses during Winter.

My personal experience with soft smooth Chinese silk has inspired me to consider commissioning a more complete set of what could be described as the gentleman's equivalent of a household or domestic warddrobe comprising clothing such as a house jacket and trousers, a smoking jacket and trousers, bedroom/toilet gown, garden/walking dress, etc. Perhaps, these require a separate thread?
garu wrote:
Concordia wrote:Turn down your heat and invest in Reid & Taylor 16oz
Excellent advice, Concordia! Here in Japan, it is common for houses and apartments not to have central heating, just as it was when I lived in the UK. (I had a delightful little house on the Yorkshire North Sea coast with coal-burning fireplaces in every room. Lovely! When the wind would blast in from the North Sea, the entire house would shake. Quite an experience on a cold winter night...)

Living without central heating (or cooling) is no hardship, makes good sense, and is helpful both for the environment and one's pocketbook/wallet. After all, if one is room "a," why pay to also heat (or cool) rooms "b," "c," "d," and "e"?

Best of all, as Concordia has so beautifully summarised, is the opportunity to wear the cloth of the season - tweed, of course!

Ta,
garu
  • Information