The best steak in NYC?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Leon

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:04 pm

I have had fantastic steak at Santa Maria de Buen Ayre in Hackney, London.

http://www.buenayre.co.uk/

It is a no frills place, but the beef is all argentine, as is the carmenere and malbec.

Leon
maxnharry

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:44 pm

IN NYC, I think Smith and Wollensky would be the place for a ribeye
aportnoy

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:45 pm

I agree on Luger's but I would also include the already mentioned Del Frisco's which happens to me in the lobby of the building in which I work, very convenient. I also have a very warm spot for Sparks and their NY Strip with served with melted bleu cheese.
RWS

Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:11 pm

Leon wrote:I have had fantastic steak at Santa Maria de Buen Ayre in Hackney, London. . . .
No great surprise, for, as I noted in my "City Guide" in the Lounge, this is part of the full name of the capital of Argentina.

Beef prepared in Argentine manners generally pleases me. American and British Loungers may wish to note, however, that these preparations generally are much leaner than the beef to which they are accustomed.
Hartline

Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:55 pm

The steaks at Cite are ok. The wine dinner is worth going to with a group of friends.

Luger's if you are going to eat out. Lobel's if you are going to eat in. It is time to order the prime rib for Christmas or New Year's Day.
Mycroft

Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:20 pm

I just back from New York and went to Bobby Vans, amazing...I got their Beef Welingtons, so good. Also, their house steak sauce is great.
philosopher

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:16 pm

For the best steak in New York, I think you need to visit Lobel's at 82nd & Madison. http://www.lobels.com. Of course, you have to cook it yourself. That said, I find their steaks, in particular the cowboy steak, to exceed the best steak I have had at top NY steakhouses (including Peter Luger).
J. Gross

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:00 pm

Mark Joseph is indeed excellent and a bit under the radar. Another excellent spot in my neigborhood is Hacienda de Argentina, a newish Argentine steak place that serves a delicious piece of meat. Great atmosphere, too, and no need to contend with the silly Luger waiters who've been doing brusque shtick for 30 years.
Ed Driscoll

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:25 pm

maxnharry wrote:IN NYC, I think Smith and Wollensky would be the place for a ribeye
While in New York last month for business, my wife and I had a marvelous time in Smith & Wollensky's Grill Room, which is open later and a little less formal than their main dining room. It's a great late night place to unwind. (They do a roast beef hash that's a fantastic comfort food.)

Earlier in the thread, somebody mentioned Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I found them to be hit & miss. The steak and service at their Atlanta location was superb. Back in the mid-'90s, I enjoyed their Philadelphia restaurant. But at least on the night we were there a few years ago, their San Francisco branch was good, but nothing that great.

On the other hand, I haven't been there in a couple of years, but Harris' in San Francisco has always had great steaks (and Martinis).
SilkCity

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:21 pm

Poat House--in the (very British) Lowell Hote.
SilkCity

Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:23 pm

That's Post House in the (very British) Lowell Hotel!

Just thinking of some fortified egg nog is murder on my typing!
Romualdo

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:23 am

Thanks for the wwwlobels.com link
Kindlychap

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm no New Yorker, and can't offer a comparative opinion, but I had a wonderful steak at the Bull and Bear in the Waldorf=Astoria in June.

Absolutely superb!
smoothjazzone

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Agree with Philosopher -- Lobel's is very very good -- they also have the best British breakfast sausages I have had on either side of the pond (the Italian sausages are not quite as good)

Also, some of the best steak in NY is served in regular restaurants. Notables include:
> Craft / Craftsteak -- Craft is consistently better of the two + nearly 50-60 excelent sides to choose from
> Babbo -- the steak for two plus roasted potatoes and garlic finished with balsamic vinegar is simply superb -- only problem is that they will not give you extra garlic (for that one has to go to Striphouse -- all steaks served with a whole grilled bulb of garlic)
> BLT Steak -- not as good as the other two but not bad at all

And since we are talking grilled beef -- the "Special Kalbi" in some Korean restaurants on 32nd street is excellent
philosopher wrote:For the best steak in New York, I think you need to visit Lobel's at 82nd & Madison. http://www.lobels.com. Of course, you have to cook it yourself. That said, I find their steaks, in particular the cowboy steak, to exceed the best steak I have had at top NY steakhouses (including Peter Luger).
  • Information