Shoe storage

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Fabius

Fri May 29, 2015 8:58 pm

I was wondering how everyone stores their shoes.

At the moment our most frequently-worn footwear is lined up on the floor (accumulating more dust than is ideal and looking messy) while the less frequently-worn is in shoeboxes in the wardrobe (which is inconvenient).

Occasionally we peruse shoe cabinets but they mostly seem to be ugly and/or made of veneered chipboard and plastic, and look like they'll fall apart far too easily. Maybe we're looking in the wrong places, or maybe there's not such a thing as a well-made, nice-looking shoe cabinet. Our wardrobe space is minimal, so we need something that can stand on its own, outside the wardrobe.

Does anyone have a good solution?
raykalendek

Fri May 29, 2015 9:33 pm

I try to keep things simple by using Woodlore cedar shoe racks.

http://www.woodlore.com/cedar-shoe-rack ... estselling

Each large unit holds four pairs of men's (five pairs of women's) shoes, is stackable, and retails for about $30. Stacked, they fit nicely into the floor-space of an average-sized closet. For an additional $30, a topper is offered to protect your shoes from dust. Simple, convenient, and inexpensive. They even have extensions to make possible the use of these racks for boots. My racks easily hold my 25 pairs of shoes and boots and still leave closet floor-space available.
Fabius

Fri May 29, 2015 10:04 pm

They appear to be rather more expensive in the UK, eg, £56 (or $85!). Even with 20% off (which that page is currently offering) that seems a lot... I'd prefer something more enclosed too - even with the topper I think my shoes would get very dusty.

But I'll keep it in mind, thanks - it seems simple and expandable, which is always good.
theoldesouth

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:23 am

I keep my dress shoes polished, placed in their individual felt bags and put away in their original boxes which I label for quick ID. This is a practical solution for me.
hectorm

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:37 am

Fabius wrote: .... our most frequently-worn footwear is lined up on the floor (accumulating more dust than is ideal and looking messy) while the less frequently-worn is in shoeboxes in the wardrobe ....
I have had a similar "arrangement" as yours for the last 37 years or so and I'm happy with it. Of course, by now it expands along the best part of 3 closets. I keep on the floor those shoes -around 20 pairs- that are at the moment on the current rotations (seasonal, work, week-end, travel, etc. It's personal and complicated), and the rest, like theoldesouth in their felt bags inside the original boxes (with labels on the outside) The only difference is that in my case is my footwear instead of our footwear. A big difference I believe. :)
Cufflink79

Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:01 am

There is always this option for shoe storage. :)

http://cdn.styleforum.net/5/57/5744f41c_sjrsrj.jpeg

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
  • Information