Cocktails

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
uppercase

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:48 am

I can understand why bartenders have a problem with mojitos.

I enjoy them but don't like to make them.

I need fresh mint. I never have fresh mint. And I'm not going to go out and buy any because… I just don't want to.

This is a beach drink. A lounging -at -the -poolside drink. Not really a city drink.

Like a daiquiri. A margarita. A caipirinha.

…these all good drinks for slowly falling into a stupor in a poolside lounge chair while surreptitiously looking at the nubile young things from under my Steve McQueen Persols but not something for a city drink. A drink for the Dominican Republic. Or Cuba.

This not because of any stupid snobbism or something like that but just because it's too time consuming to make in a busy city bar and secondly because I can't in good conscience wear sunglasses inside the Savoy.
Concordia

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:59 am

uppercase wrote:
Anybody been to Dukes recently??
Just last winter. Nothing of value to say about the bar, however. It was full of people, and I was alone, and jet-lagged, and I didn't feel the need to be un-introduced in a crowd of Englishmen (and women).

The rooms are still excellent value, however, if you don't mind small size. And the restaurant downstairs would be astonishingly good even without their attractive Polish head waitress.
Luca

Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 am

uppercase wrote:I miss Dukes.
I was there, with another LLounger, no less, just last year.

A bit less traditional, a bit more 'cool' than it was ocne but quite decent nonetheless. And they made a GREAT Martinez, of which I had too many. :oops:
uppercase

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 am

Needing to find a use for the forlorn bottle of green chartreuse sitting on the bar table, the Last Word occurred to me.

Gin, chartreuse, lime,luxardo marischino.

Very nice. Tart, sweet, herbal. I think you'll like it.

Btw, do add a bottle of luxardo to your collection. A wonderful liqueur to add to many cocktails including Luca 's Martinez above.
uppercase

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 am

I always enjoyed Dukes, particularly the bar.
I enjoyed sitting there alone looking out the window at a heavy London downpour while smoking a cigar bought around the corner at JJ Fox.

Those experiences are still special to me. Particularly if I was coming from a fitting, had a good day, curry in a pub, raining hard and no where to go, nor wanting to move from my chair.

It was all part of getting a suit made on Savile Row.

I don't know…that nostalgic view of England personified by some of these older hotels…those private, reflective experiences, well, I just don't know if it's all a bit too recherché now.

So much has changed now
But I don't think that I'm ready to move on from what i used to enjoy.

Look what's happened to the tailoring world…change is coming, no ,change is here,ready or not.
Rob O

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:27 am

London is no longer England. The non doms and city spivs have changed its character forever. Transfer your patronage to Mahon in Cumbria and rediscover England in all its glory.
Edward Bainbridge

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:21 am

Ah, well... But back to cocktails:

I sometimes enjoy a Gin & It, by simply pouring a decent London Dry gin and white vermouth roughly half and half on two ice cubes in a tumbler.

Now I'm not a collector of bar books and haven't interviewed older relations, but I wonder if this similar to what would have been served in a pre-war club, or if they did it entirely different - using Old Tom gin and Extra Dry vermouth in very asymmetric measures, with lime, a choice of bitters, some liqueur, no ice but a whole celery to garnish or something of the sort.

Does anyone know?
R.O. Thornhill

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Concordia wrote:
uppercase wrote:
Just last winter. Nothing of value to say about the bar, however. It was full of people, and I was alone, and jet-lagged, and I didn't feel the need to be un-introduced in a crowd of Englishmen (and women).

The rooms are still excellent value, however, if you don't mind small size. And the restaurant downstairs would be astonishingly good even without their attractive Polish head waitress.
Have a martini at Dukes most weeks (and have done for years) - and to me it is perfect. Whether on my own, for a quiet half an hour after work; or with friends before dinner it is my favourite traditional bar

Alessandro is a consummate bartender - always ready with a warm welcome and an ice cold No 3 martini

ROT
aston

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Interesting comment re the "gin and It", as I was always of the view that this was made with red, rather than white, vermouth. Using white vermouth to me has always been a "gin and French".

Agree about Dukes and their martinis.
Edward Bainbridge

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Oh, I might be wrong there, that's just how I sometimes pour it together, without naming it. :)

But thanks, that's already a first part of the answer to my question, then.

EDIT: "French" sounds dry to me rather than just white.
aston

Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:20 pm

I think the "French" was probably Noilly Prat originally, which was, or perhaps is, pretty dry.

Best of all, though, is when you arrive, and the bartender knows what to make for you without you having to ask...............
uppercase

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:22 am

Normally I wouldn't bother with a drink like the gin basil smash.
Because like the mojito, it needs fresh ingredients
which normally I wouldn't have handy.

But just happen to have some basil in the pantry
tonight so why not a Gin-Basil Smash supposedly
invented by that German comedy team over at
Le Lion bar over in Hamburg.

Gin, basil, lemon, simple syrup.

A very nice warm weather drink and this video from le lion
bar is also worth watching but only after your third drink and only if you're
in a magnanimous mood .

http://youtu.be/epOZ5jGEZwM
rodes

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Uppercase,
I recommend none and take none.
hectorm

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 pm

uppercase wrote:I always enjoyed Dukes, particularly the bar.
I don't know…that nostalgic view of England personified by some of these older hotels…those private, reflective experiences, well, I just don't know if it's all a bit too recherché now.
I left London for good almost 16 years ago. When I go back and try to relive that nostalgic view of London hotel bars I go to The Goring´s Bar in Belgravia. Deep leather Chester sofas, plush carpets, wood paneled walls, a fireplace and very peaceful. For a similar environment, The Library bar at the Lanesborough at Hyde Park Corner. While I love Duke´s location, its bar space always seemed a bit tight to me and I´m not very fond of martinis either.
  • Information