Edinburgh

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
rodes

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 pm

I will be traveling to this great town in a few weeks from the US to visit my two nieces who are studying there. Any recommendations?
NJS

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:05 pm

The Caledonian Hotel!

NJS
kamil

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:46 pm

The Caledonian Hotel is great, especially its whisky bar. The Mussel Inn is a must if you are into seafood, but the very best of Edinburgh is to be found in the Oxford Bar, a wonderful pub made famous by Ian Rankin, whose books are mandatory reading before visiting the capital of Scotland.
hectorm

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 am

Climb Arthur´s Seat and then reward yourself with blonde beer at the old Sheep Heid Inn pub (although now I read that it has been "refurbished" recently, and we all know what this could mean).
_DR

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Restaurant Martin Wishart (the restaurant on the Shore in Leith rather than the brasserie in town).

The tasting menu is fantastic, the lunchtime menu du jour is fantastic value. Probably my favourite restaurant in the world.

A visually stunning city to visit - hope the weather is good for you!
Rob O

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Edinburgh is a simply wonderful place with a restrained elegance quite unlike anything in England. I took some important customers to an excellent steakhouse called the Champany Inn, twenty minutes west of Edinburgh. The steaks are some of the best I have ever tasted anywhere, cooked on full size Lacanche grills.

http://www.champany.com/

If that isn't enough we had a guided whiskey tasting downstairs in the cellar before dinner. We sampled around a dozen single malts. I know it's a cab ride out of town but believe me it's worth it. The Inn also has some very nice rooms to stay in if you wish.
rodes

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:15 pm

I have just returned from this great town. The weather was dreary, cold, windy and perfect, just as I had imagined. The right place to wear heavy tweed and flannel. (Just think, I had here to fore believed that these cloths were first woven in Pennsylvania.) And a warm scarf, do not go out without one in Scotland.
Thankyou NJS, kamil, hectorm, DR, and Rob O for your good advice. I was able do take most of it. Edinburgh was one delightful experience.
hectorm

Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:39 pm

rodes wrote: Thank you NJS, kamil, hectorm, DR, and Rob O for your good advice. I was able do take most of it. Edinburgh was one delightful experience.
I'm glad you had a great time in Edimbrah, rodes.
Is the refurbished Sheep Heid Inn pub still worthwhile visiting? Is skittles still being played there?
Aristide

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 pm

If you could provide some details and recommendations, it would be appreciated.
NJS

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Dear Rodes, it is good to hear that you had a good time.

NJS
gegarrenton

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:04 pm

hectorm wrote:
rodes wrote: Thank you NJS, kamil, hectorm, DR, and Rob O for your good advice. I was able do take most of it. Edinburgh was one delightful experience.
I'm glad you had a great time in Edimbrah, rodes.
Is the refurbished Sheep Heid Inn pub still worthwhile visiting? Is skittles still being played there?
I was there in October, and it was still fantastic, and skittles alley still open.
hectorm

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Thank you gegarrenton. Glad to hear you had a great time.
It´s also good to know that some of my happiest memories from many weekends in Scotland in the mid 90s can still be re-lived. I have not returned since then but I plan to take my wife and son sometime in the near future before I get too old. Amongst other things, for the train ride to Mallaig, walking up Ben Nevis the "easy" way, and of course the Sheep Heid Inn is also on the list.
rodes

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Hectorm,
It has now been a year since the best vacation of my life and I cannot wait to go back. Do go yourself and take your family as soon as you are able.
gegarrenton

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:58 pm

hectorm wrote:Thank you gegarrenton. Glad to hear you had a great time.
It´s also good to know that some of my happiest memories from many weekends in Scotland in the mid 90s can still be re-lived. I have not returned since then but I plan to take my wife and son sometime in the near future before I get too old. Amongst other things, for the train ride to Mallaig, walking up Ben Nevis the "easy" way, and of course the Sheep Heid Inn is also on the list.
Sounds like a great trip. My wife and I can't wait to head back.

Funnily enough, Simon Cundey from Poole is the one that turned me on to the Sheep Heid when I told him we were heading up to Edinburgh, so I got great advice to go with fantastic clothing.
  • Information