Paris Hotels

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
culverwood

Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:45 am

Where should I take my wife for an anniversary weekend? The last time I stayed in Paris was on a cricket tour in the 70's and where we stayed then would definitely not be suitable.

William
davidhuh

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:13 am

Dear Culverwood,

my personal tip would be the Pavillon de la Reine at 28, Place des Vosges
www.pavillon-de-la-reine.com

cheers, David
alden

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am

The Bristol
NJS

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:55 am

Why Paris? Why not tell her that it's Paris and then whisk her off to one of the great waterfalls of the world. No luggage.
culverwood

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:16 pm

NJS - We did go to Victoria Falls for an earlier anniversary and I understand what you are saying but Paris it is this time.

William
NJS

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 pm

William -
Then (not knowing david huh's suggestion), probably: Le Meurice, The Bristol or George V. The Ritz is closed, I think, for renovations.
NJS
hectorm

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 pm

If regarding your money the sky is the limit, then The Ritz (it´s open) would be my recommendation, edging all the other superb hotels mentioned in this thread if not for its IMO better location for a romantic weekend.
If you are in for a personal tip about a much more affordable well located place but still full of character, history and impeccable service, my recommendation would be Hotel Lutecia in the Left Bank. I stayed there during my last visit in a lovely junior suite overlooking the rooftops of Paris and the Eiffel tower (request in advance and firmly).
But sincerely, I hope that money is not a constraint for your anniversary weekend so you can stay at The Ritz.
Robert Watkins

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 pm

The Raphael, near l'Etoile, is a little more intimate, a little more a l'ancienne, a little more eccentric than the other palaces. Wonderful English-style bar. This is where the Astaire character in Funny Face stayed. The location is not interesting, but transportation of all types in readily available.

Second choice would be Le Bristol: sleeker, more glamorous, and better located. But the sometimes hellish traffic on the F. St. Honore can be a problem.
alden

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:09 pm

The Hotel Ritz : Too obvious, but go to the bar and have champagne
George V : The clientele, eek! Avoid at all costs
Prince de Galle: The clientele, eek! Avoid at all costs
Le Meurice: Rue de Rivoli tourism, nice views on Tuileries though
Hotel Crillon: The clientele, half an eek!
Plaza Athenee: The clientele, quarter of an eek! but ok if you can’t get into the very chic

Le Bristol.
Rowly

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Take her for a drink in Harry's New York Bar, the birth place of many classic cocktails...frequented by Coco Chanel, Jack Dempsey, Rita Hayworth, Humphrey Bogart, and even the Duke of Windsor occasionally showed up. This is where George Gershwin composed An American in Paris. Tell her,"We'll always have Paris!" Have a few Margaritas....stay close by!
NJS

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 am

Despite the fate of the eventual descendant of the man for whom it was named, The Bristol is a very nice choice but the eek-factor of many of the clientele of most of the great hotels of the world (let alone just in Paris), would have Emily Post spinning in her grave. We probably do live near The End of Days, in a perceptible sense, in so many ways. However, the eek-factor of the clientele might, possibly, have less relevance for those intent on a wedding anniversay celebration, than for those who are going to be traipsing into the general dining rooms.

What a shame that they demolished Rosa Lewis's old Cavendish Hotel!
culverwood

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 am

We generally prefer more intimate smaller hotels without all the unnecessary fripperies of places like the Ritz (I have never stayed there but imagine that the Palace hotels have to include things like spas which we would never use) but with bedrooms of the same quality and a good lounge and restaurant. Does this narrow things down?
NJS

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 pm

William,
In that case, David Huh's suggestion looks very good and he gives a link.
NJS
hectorm

Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:29 pm

culverwood wrote:We generally prefer more intimate smaller hotels without all the unnecessary fripperies of places like the Ritz but with bedrooms of the same quality and a good lounge and restaurant. Does this narrow things down?
More intimate, with Ritz quality rooms, a good lounge and a restaurant? Mmmmh....
I think I was right on recommending Hotel Lutecia. It's much more intimate than the Ritz and has a beautiful art deco lounge/bar and a superb restaurant. I suspect the rooms -which are big and excellent- might not be as luxurious as the ones in the Ritz though.
You may consider also a really intimate romantic hotel without the restaurant. This will augment the options significantly and in Paris you can always have a wonderful dinner just around the corner.
gherrmann

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 pm

The Lancaster.
  • Information