This is a pipe smoking zone

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
dopey

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:38 pm

NJS wrote:
alden wrote:Dopey

Sounds like you would like Bell's "Three Nuns" VA with L Perrique in a curly cut. I may have to try the Weybridge.

Michael
Three Nuns contains some Brazilian tobacco - which is often under estimated.
NJS
It seems Rad Davis likes Three Nuns, too!!

In fact, he last night sent me that photo of a pipe he made at my request and which will be on its way to me tomorrow--a natural finish blasted Rhodesian, in his trademark shaping, with a smooth, unstained top. The trim is boxwood.
NJS

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:18 pm

A very nice pipe, Dopey! The tin of Three Nuns makes me feel very nostalgic, especially as I have just seen that the house of the old fellow who used to smoke it has (over 30 years after he and his wife lived there) just been advertized "To Let".

By the way, I saw a long interview with Nelson Mandela yesterday and in it his mentioned what happened when his father had become very ill and had a cough. Eventually, he called for his pipe and tobacco. Nelson's mother was consulted and denied the request. He then demanded that his youngest wife bring him his pipe and tobacco and she complied. He then filled, lit and started to smoke his pipe. His coughing stopped and he became very tranquil, smoking away. Then the pipe fell from him and he was gone. I like that story. Far better to go like that than fearfully grasping, with knarled fingers, at the arms of a Parker Knoll invalid chair, in a squidgy incontinence pad.
NJS
alden

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Dopey

Absolutely gorgeous pipe! That is something very special. Get some Three Nuns, light up and smoke slow.
Gruto

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Wilhelm Bendz (1828)
dopey

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm

A nice fall day, so I had a chance to try out a new sportcoat, which I thought you might like:
That is a combination pouch that holds one pipe in the bottom section, with a rubber lined tobacco/accessory section in the top. It fits comfortably in the interior poacher's pocket.
Since today was another bike-riding lesson day, I took the same combination as last week - the remainder of the 4noggin's Weybridge sample and an Algerian briar pot from WIlke's Pipe shop. Wilke's had a storied history, some of which can be read here. I bought the pipe from Ms. Burns, the current owner of Wilkes--it was about 50 years new when I bought it, and the briar had been aged at least that again when it was made. The Wilke's blends are pretty highly regarded, though I haven't any first-hand experience with them. In addition to the first link I gave, there is more on them in this thorough article here.

These photos show the outside bellows pocket on the sportcoat. They probably belong in some other thread, but the last one qualifies because it shows (or doesn't) the pipe pouch in the pocket and the bellows opened. In the middle photo, the jacket is crumpled as I was trying to show how the pocket sits on top of the front.
ImageImageImage
NJS

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 pm

A great combo of coat and pipe, dopey!
NJS
alden

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 pm

A great tweed, design, make, pipe and pipe bag: that's a full house!

Michael
Cravate Noire

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:31 am

Had to dig out that photo as I recently came back from Italy and friends there asked me where I left my pipa while we were sitting in bars (last time I took 2 or 3 pipes with me, so I was expected to produce a lot of smoke); obviously it fits in that thread.
Just natural, non or very lightly perfumed tobacco for me, including Latakia blends (sometimes also I use pure Latakia to spice things as well, smoking it solely is too strong for me though).
I buy pipe tobacco and pipes exclusively at a small local store that used to be a large tobacco empire long time ago and is one of the oldest tobacco manufactuerers still in existance (founded 1705).
They melted down from a total of 12.000m² manufacturing space to a tiny ca.30² store today in which they offer a few dozen of their own mixtures (and offer custom blended pipe tobacco, if something special is desired) and a few hundred pipe tobaccos of other brands.

cathach

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 pm

I suppose we should be thankful any are left at all, although I like the fact I can have a meal or a drink without choking on cheap fag ash, it's sad to see old customs go especially the pipe. I take the odd dose of Velvan Plug myself with an old briar, although I should broaden my horizons with some Petersons while they're still about. Does everyone here smoke flake over plug as a matter of interest?

Where is this small manufactory of yours CravateNoire as a matter of interest?
dopey

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 am

alden wrote:Dopey,

Distribution of the Sam Gawith and Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. products is limited as they are almost artisanal productions using techniques from a century and a half ago. They are also natural tobaccos, no artificial flavorings in the casings etc. Take a minute and read about them on their websites.

The ropes you picked are very strong. They will make a Bolivar seem like a cigarillo. I used to smoke them, but no more. Get a good sharp pen knife and slice off very thin slices, let it dry and then smoke slow.

The 1792 is another nicotine powerhouse, too strong for me, but a very good tobacco.

The vendors in the States I mentioned early in this thread still seem to carry the Lakeland tobaccos. I listed a few of my favorites in this thread. If you like a medium to strong flavor, you should try Dark Birdseye by G&H. The Full Virginia Flake by SG is another classic. You can also order from Synjecho in CH and the descriptions of the tobaccos on their site are very good.

Michael
Well . . . I finally have enough experience with 1792 to render an opinion. It is a great tobacco with a very interesting smell and a nice, strong and textured flavor. But it sure packs a nicotine wallop. I have been enjoying it as one of my walk-home-from-the-office smokes, and the rich flavor seems to fit nicely with a stroll, especially as the weather cools. I started smoking it in a 1920's Dunhill Lovat, which fortunately has a small, old-fashioned size bowl. I don't think I could handle a group 4 or 5 sized bowl of this stuff, at least not on a pre-dinner stomach.
I can't really compare the taste to anything else, but I can say that the tonkin bean topping does contribute to a unique smoke and I understand why this flake has been around for a long time. If you don't mind the nicotine hit, give it a try. It is likely different from anything else you are smoking.

In other news, Synjeco, the vendor Alden recommended up-thread, has just resumed shipping pipe tobacco to the U.S. I haven't given them a try as I am pretty well-stocked for now, but it is nice to have another resource.
alden

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Dopey

1792 is a classic. I wish I could smoke it again. Alas and alack, it is not to be. I am always on the lookout for mild tobaccos with great depth of flavour. They are harder to find than the nuclear nicotine bombs. Any ideas?

Order Onyx from synjeco, you will like it.

Michael
dopey

Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:57 am

Perhaps, Alden, you will like this: GL Pease Fillmore. I have been smoking this lately, and if you like Virginias with some Perique, this broken flake may do it for you (note that in the comments to the review, Pease posts that he also added a tiny bit of Latakia to the blend). I detected no nicotine hit, but you may have a different experience. In any event, the full Pease lineup is worth a look. They are manufactured by Cornell & Diehl, to Greg Pease's specifications.

BTW, as luck would have it, the Pease lineup is the one set of American blends carried by your friends at Synjeco.
alden

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Dopey

Pease's blends are excellent. I have not smoked them as much as the Schurch blends over the years but I may have to give them a try again.

Cheers

Michael
jwh

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Thank you for recommending 4noggins. I wonder if any of you have ordered from them to anywhere in the EU, and whether you've had any trouble regarding customs and duty. If not, I think I shall be stocking up on 965 as I am rather a pessimist when it comes to the future of English tobacco.
  • Information