If there was only one dance I should learn...

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
All over the world

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Which one would it be? I would like to learn how to dance but I am not sure I want to learn waltz if no one is ever going to waltz even at formal events if you know what I mean. What would be the best dance to learn? I would like one that is likely to be danced at formal events, dinner parties, receptions etc... but is not rare to the point where one would only dance it one every 30 years.

Thanks! :D
storeynicholas

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm

There's no point in learning just one dance. I'd say: go to a good dance mistress and have one-to-one lessons; do not go with your wife or girlfriend - they should go on their own. The basic steps; avoidance moves and turns aren't difficult for the slow Waltz; two step; rumba; bossa nova and tango. The cha-cha-cha and samba are more difficult as is the foxtrot and the Viennese Waltz. Moreover, the jive and the Charleston cut a bit of a dash. You'll soon discover whether you're a ntural or not and, even if you're not, as long as you don't try to be too ambitious, you should not look like Monsieur Hulot with two left feet. Scotch reels and Highland dancing are the thing at the Caledonian and Oban Balls but they are high-spirited affairs where it is difficult to stand out as being atrocious.
NJS
contenti

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:02 pm

I suppose this is as good a time as any to make my first comment on these forums. I've quite enjoyed learning from the members here, so now that a topic comes up where I am mildly qualified to comment, I can join in the conversation.

I speak as someone who ballroom dances quite frequently, both learning and helping to teach new dancers with the local university club.

One on one lessons are quite good. With a good instructor, you will learn a great deal quite quickly. However, there is much to be said for group lessons as well.

The group setting will allow you to practice steps with many different partners, in an informal setting where the occasional misstep is easy to laugh off, and you are able to stop, reset yourself, and continue dancing. I believe this is the best way to become comfortable dancing socially with partners of varying skill level (which is what you will find at the events where you want to use what you've learned).

The ideal in my mind would be to combine the two, private lessons taken alongside group lessons, but this requires a significant outlay of both time and cash.

As for which dances to learn, I'll mostly echo the above comments. Slow waltz, rumba, tango are good choices. Cha cha cha is, as mentioned, much quicker (and therefore somewhat more difficult), but depending on where you will be dancing, a good one to learn. A lot of pop music uses a cha cha beat, so it can be useful to have in the repertoire.
All over the world

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Thank you!

So it would seem waltz is still danced then? Which dance do you most frequently come across? (-> Which one should I start with?)
shindeco

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Which dance to learn depends largely on WHERE you expect to dance. Waltzes are common in ballroom dancing studios (which usually have regular practice / social events) but pretty rare anywhere else. These studio dances offer the greatest variety of dances as people there want to practice what they've learned and, well, different people learn different dances! They usually offer classes that cover the basics of several different dances so you don't have to sit out too much, as well.

Do you go out to a lot of events with big band music? Then the jive (or another member of the swing family) and the foxtrot would be the obvious choices.

Do you go to events with a lot of Latin music? Then go with salsa. Are you looking for a "ballroom" style dance to dance in a "non-ballroom" club atmosphere? Cha cha can be danced to to lots of top-40 music (and other popular music, as well)

Many people are "single-dance" fanatics and there are lots of different dances that have entire communites that are devoted to just one dance: West Coast Swing; Argentine Tango; Salsa. You can often "force" these dances to a lot of non-traditional music with some interesting effects.

Lots of choices...what's the major musical style of these events?
  • Information