The Gentleman's Clothes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
rodes

Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:54 am

Does the gentleman dress primarily for himself or for others? Perhaps both in equal attention? I would like to think that it is the first of theese three. It does seem to me that this would tend toward the highest and most enduring cultivation of taste. Yet we are all social beings and share a world where form is important to those with whom we live and work. I am unsure even for myself.
Jack Albans

Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Good question - more especially since you point out that we are social beings.

Yes we are social beings but for myself - I find that deep down I have difficulty really abiding too closely within the society of those I perceive as having problematic ways of thinking, or disharmonious personalities, or even who harbour notions of superiority in any way at all; this latter thing I utterly reserve to myself alone... ...with the possible exception of Karl Lagerfeld, who I permit to be the exception that proved the rule. I don't understand him, but I find him clever.

I must confess I have personally-signed letters from one or two huge celebrities of the fashion, or let's say 'style' world, and also from business, banking, and industry too, that I discount as betraying arrogance borrowed from television shows of the Seventies and consequently I discount the identities as being all that genuinely stylish, in spite of their titles in some cases.

So, it would appear that if I were to be honest, I dress for myself, and for the harmonious society of only those who might have similar tastes or manners. Sometimes I can be very aggressive, but this doesn't preclude a certain harmony with those who are somewhat similar; there is a structure to military aggression at its best as well to affairs of the material world, and so too in philosophical thinking of an active and not somnolent kind.

There is a sheer selfishness involved, I would agree. Or so it is with me. The truism that women tend to borrow your cashmere pullovers, or your cashmere shawl, or even your best jacket for envy of the fabric is all the more an indication of one's selfishness of course. I cannot see myself dressing in colours or fabric of another's choice. As for 'dress code' per se, what of it - it is the form that renders civilisation and within which the individual has more than enough scope to express himself to his ideal peers.

Best,

Jack Albans
Jack Albans

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 am

I suppose I might add though, that I personally enjoy other people's good dress sense, or even style sensibilities.

Rodes, you did ask about 'primary' motivation, and therefore, if I apply the question to myself, then, indeed I primarily dress for my own desires and requirements.

I get a lot out of a few of those on that programme 'Antiques Roadshow' - who appear to have both flair as well as excellent cutters on their side...

J.
rodes

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Jack, Thankyou for your candid answer. It seems to me that there is wisdom in it. One dresses primarily for himself,that is,in harmony with the person that he perceives and wants himself to be. Secondly, we enjoy seeing others who reflect our own taste and we want them to enjoy our form as well. Thus,the gentleman dresses to project his own style for those whom he respects. Harmony seems to be a key element in either case.
Cufflink79

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

I'd say it's 50/50 most of the time, seeing how we like to dress for ourselves and not be an eyesore for others.

Always remember two good points, what may work for you doesn't always work for others, and someone always has something to teach you.

Certain time I'll dress for my girlfriend in which I'll have some more purple in my outfit more than other times, seeing how that's her favorite color. And I've grown to enjoy wearing it as well. :)

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Costi

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

A gentleman is considerate enough not to want to wear anything that would scandalize others, so in dressing for himself he also dresses for others. A gentleman who is also a man of style will temper his elan in the hot coals of social acceptability. A man of style who doesn’t care about being a gentleman will overtly challenge social acceptability and wear what he pleases taking his idiosyncrasy to the last consequence.
A man who has Style doesn’t consider whether he dresses for himself or for others: he just dresses, as in the Balzacian motto of our “Bespoke Forum”. He wouldn’t dress any more flamboyantly if he were to dress “just for himself” or any more temperately if he were to dress “for others”. His dress is a mix between his natural instincts and what he forgot from what he learned about (others’) dress.

Dunhill has a nice interview with violonist Charlie Siems – I like his motto: RELEASE!
(never mind the clothes, for once read the fine print below :) )
  • Information