Does anyone remember this tv programme?

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Jack Albans

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:03 am

For years I have been looking for any indication of the very existence(!) of this old thing... There was a very calm quiet-ish series of twenty minute long travelogues involving one older fellow and his open-top Triumph Spitfire motoring around Europe, down backroads and a few main highways. Any recollection? Anyone? Anyone?

It might have been made in the early Seventies and it had a real nice pace to it. Very unfussed. No one I personally know remembers it at all.

I suppose if there is ABSOLUTELY no one who recalls it, it can retire into all those old lost/forgotten but nonetheless superb things of individualistic merit.

Regards,

J.
Last edited by Jack Albans on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexeberlin

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:47 pm

I don't recall it ( too young) but if it's a British series I can possibly find out
Jack Albans

Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:31 am

Thanks for the reply, AB. I'd be very very surprised if it wasn't a British production. From memory there was hardly any dialogue in it at all - just the fellow and his little sportscar driving down some long winding back roads in Europe. I wish I could even remember the name of the series: it may have been something like 'across the dolomites by sportscar,' or 'a back road somewhere...' I just can't remember though. Someone SURELY will remember this.

J.A.
Last edited by Jack Albans on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisR

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Johnny's Jaunts, perhaps? With Johnny Morris (of Animal Magic fame) traveling round all kinds of places during the course of a long-running TV and radio series...
Jack Albans

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:36 am

I am very grateful, ChrisR. Initially I thought 'nah, couldn't be,' but just as quickly thought, 'well hang on, the fella DID look like that and with the same laconic style...'

I haven't yet been able to fully research it, and, you can tell from the time it takes me to respond, that I have a lot going on on different fronts right now, but - there is indeed EVERY chance it may have been Johnny Morris. Stunning to say. There is enough on WikiP., that indicates to me that there were short shows he did that seem very much like what I am thinking of. And I have a very strong recollection of one particular short featuring chestnuts...! So it's highly possible, indeed likely. Very Very grateful, CR. For awhile I was thinking this thing was lost and forgotten.

(And now, if we could ONLY turn up a copy of 'How I Spent My Summer Vacation' starring Peter Lawford, we can all make a quick few million AND discover who shot Kennedy...)

Jack Albans
  • Information