A Taboo Subject

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
carl browne

Sun May 30, 2010 5:20 pm

It is an unfortunate truth that a good diet and exercise program can do more for you than even the best bespoke tailor. It is far easier to be elegant if you're thin and fit. Therefore an elegant appearance and an elegant life become hard to reconcile. How do you do it?

C
jgmounts

Sun May 30, 2010 5:38 pm

I jog 20 miles per week.sorry to say it's the only way for me.
Merc

Mon May 31, 2010 1:30 am

although what you say has truth -being thin is not the only answer

there are other body characteristics beside waste size that affect the way a man looks in clothes
carl browne

Mon May 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Merc:

Do you live in the United States? Being thin may not be the only answer, but in an obese nation, it's close, and the simplest--but not easiest--way to distinguish yourself from everyone else. But I find that age and genetics are implacable adversaries, and the diet and the gym are pretty miserable.

C
Merc

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:37 am

carl browne wrote:Merc:

Do you live in the United States? Being thin may not be the only answer, but in an obese nation, it's close, and the simplest--but not easiest--way to distinguish yourself from everyone else. But I find that age and genetics are implacable adversaries, and the diet and the gym are pretty miserable.

C
Carl,
i live in new york city -as i have all my life-
you have a point, but in my case, personally, even when i was 21 years old and my waist was 31-32", i looked miserable in OTR 'dress clothing' - true at a 34" or 35" waist, it is more difficult to achieve a proper look. but my primary difficulties with clothing were my other measurements.

the real improvements began with my first semi-custom shirts maybe 10 years ago, and then i continued to go deeper into the custom/bespoke realm.

But remember body ratios change: 31"-32" waists are long gone for me, but the rest of me (especially face) is as thin now at a 33" than a 31" back two decades back.

yes holding my weight down is more difficult-not because my metabolism is any slower (yet), but because it's hard to work in enough exercise when you have too much work time and family responsibility. i never ever get more than 15 pounds above my lean weight, but would prefer it if the 'float' was only 5 lbs.

i am no fan of the gym, but i do go there occasionally. my thing is hiking, but i never get as much as i want!
AndyM

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:04 am

Although keeping fit and keeping weight under control are important I think the key to looking good is actually posture, the way you carry yourself. I can think of many examples of people who do not have ideal bodies but still look good because of a combination of inner confidence and carriage.

Does anyone have experience of the Alexander system? I have read about this but do not know anyone who has tried it.

Finding the time for exercise is difficult but as the saying goes "if you can't find the time to keep well then you will have to find the time to be ill!"
shredder

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 am

'Why does she keep telling me to get into shape? Round is a shape!' I think it was George Costanza in Seinfeld...

I lost 22lbs (which represents approximately a 12% reduction) in the last month by going on a diet, which, by the way, I find quite effortless, and having a slightly more regular, but moderate and not terribly time consuming, exercise routine. I would like to lose another 5lbs just to reach a nice round number on the scale. I started the diet because all my clothes were shrinking... Now most things are too big. Can't win!! :lol:
Last edited by shredder on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scot

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable. Oscar Wilde.
alden

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 pm

The secret behind the French paradox (good living and a thin waist) can be found in Michel Montignac's diets.

http://www.montignac.com/en/michel_montignac.php

It is very easy to live well and stay thin.

Cheers

Michael
Scot

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Is there a minimum height requirement for elegance, does one need a full head of hair, straight, white teeth and dainty feet? And what of those who don't comply, euthanasia or just derision?

I would almost pay someone to post here saying they kept thin by smoking 30 cigarrettes a day! :evil:
storeynicholas

Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Scot wrote:Is there a minimum height requirement for elegance, does one need a full head of hair, straight, white teeth and dainty feet? And what of those who don't comply, euthanasia or just derision?

I would almost pay someone to post here saying they kept thin by smoking 30 cigarrettes a day! :evil:
Scot - You're on! but, first, how much? :) ___ooo000OOO Apologies to Costi.
NJS
Merc

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 am

alden wrote:The secret behind the French paradox (good living and a thin waist) can be found in Michel Montignac's diets.

http://www.montignac.com/en/michel_montignac.php

It is very easy to live well and stay thin.

Cheers

Michael
there's no magic bullet, i do agree with Montignac that blood sugar stability gets short shrift in favor of low fat diets. (at least until the short lived Atkins craze)
and that although theres no need for a really low carb diet, excess carbs, particularly sugars, can do as much harm as saturated fat.
and although Montingnac indicates that there's no nutrional difference between simple and complex carbs in terms of glucose conversion speed,
the fact is complex carb type foods also generally tend to have higher fibers which could help prevent overeating as they are less energy dense
JDelage

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Some say that the only way to truly consume one's fat is to build muscle mass (which increases one's metabolism). They would add that the best or only way to do that is with a small number of high intensity weight lifting exercises. I'm trying to do that these days, and I see some improvements in body appearance. It takes me 30mn, once a week at the gym, so a very small time commitment.

I try to supplement that with ply activities, sprints, jumps, plyometrics, and lots of walking.

Following roughly the Art DeVany advices, I try not to eat any rice, bread, potatoes, sweets, etc. I eat a bunch of meat, nuts, fruits & veggies.
storeynicholas

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:51 am

Cripes, who would there have to be to impress for me to give up spending a maximum amount of time: sitting or lying down, chomping on - chips, crisps, sweets, biscuits, cake, chocolate, potatoes, fatty meats, and absorbing tobacco and alcohol? Has She Who Must Be Obeyed returned? I tend to agree with shredder: that round is a shape. I'm just waiting to get there. :D
NJS
Jack Albans

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 am

And here I was thinking this was going to be about something REALLY transgressional!

...However.

Well, I'm not so sure these things are irreconcilable. I understand that even professional chocolate tasters reach a point where they cannot derive any pleasure or enjoyment from what they are tasting; elegance is surely about not going too far in anything. In fact, it may well be partly about knowing the limits and staying WELL WITHIN them. Elegance is surely also about respecting what proceeds naturally, and for those whose body-type is naturally big boned or in other respects at least not thin, heavy dieting will only frustrate a tailor because of yo-yoing effects and thus the lack of a consistent size and shape.

I think the idea that weight is another one of these things that can be affected quickly due to the demands and claims of 'modernism' - ought to be shot down.

The first post in the thread held some important ideas, which might for example, be re-ordered thus: it is JUST AS important taking active care of your health and fitness, as it is standing perfectly still while your fitter takes measurements. And it is also JUST as important knowing how to enjoy yourself with the bounty of life.

...I smoke cigars sometimes and drink wine and take part in orgies too. Well the last part I haven't done yet but I could do (that takes care of the taboo thing) if it could be managed elegantly.

J.
  • Information