Dublin hotels

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Arrows

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:40 am

Gentlemen

I'm off to Dublin in early November, and looking for a reasonable hotel to reside at during my stay (5 days).

I've stayed at the Clontarf castle before which was excellent, however this time I would rather stay in the city centre.

If anyone could recommend an establishment I would be most grateful.

Also, do we have any members based in Ireland who could advise on suitable haunts for the evening? Preferably somewhere with a heated smoking terrace outside so that my cigar doesn't get cold!

Whilst on the subject, I heartily recommend the Decent Cigar Emporium in Grafton street. I popped in there to purchase some cigars on my last visit and the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. They made me a lovely cuban espresso whilst I browsed, just a shame I couldn't smoke in there with my coffee.

Best regards

Rupert
palmer

Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Arrows:

You might try the Merrion or the Shelbourne; from time to time, their rates are unexpectedly reasonable. Also, I once had a very pleasant stay at Butlers Town House in Ballsbridge.

Regardless of where you stay, I hope that you have a pleasant trip.

Regards,
Leyburn

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Both The Merrion and Shelbourne are excellent recommendations with the later having had a recent face lift and looking all the better for it.

A slightly less grand but no less pleasant stay can also be had at The Clarence, where I have found the staff to be most helpful and always highly professional.

For a good meal I would recommend Shanahan's On The Green. The restaurant is housed in a beautiful Georgian building facing St. Stephen's Green, (as the name would suggest) and serves an excellent unfussy menu. It is not an inexpensive option but always enjoyable. I'm afraid i can not tell you about their smoking facilities but on the whole I have found most Dublin establishments to have good heated areas.
Arrows

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:32 am

Palmer and Leyburn

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions and wishes for a pleasant stay. I have passed on your recommendations to the persons responsible for booking my business travel and await the results with baited breath!

I have also heard excellent word of Shanahan's on the green, I'll make my reservations early so that I get an assured table.

Thanks once again, and I'm looking forward to my visit,

best regards

Rupert
  • Information