Perfumes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Costi

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:58 pm

I admire your loyalty to one scent, cscottmax! Such perseverence (because I am certain that, besides "love", there must be a certain dose of determination not to be tempted by so many other wonderful scents) is rare these days. I for one am a bit more whimsical in choosing my scent and it usually reflects a set of circumstances (season, time of day, social context and, most of all, my mood, though even my palette has boiled down to very few perfumes with time. Your choice is excellent and 10 years sounds like a happy marriage :) Perhaps you've had it with "faith" ("creed") and now you want the vain "glory"? :lol:
cscottmax

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:26 pm

costi . ..i appreciate both your affirmation of my taste in cologne, and your witty response; i know i've been far more successful in my relationship with "green irish tweed" than with any woman if you measure success in years of commitment.
Costi

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Well, I just can't help thinking it might have to do with the one-way nature of the man-cologne relationship :P (please take it as an innocent retort that you simply brought to my "fingertips" with your remark - I count on your sense of humour, otherwise I wouldn't be that bold).
Besides, I have no clue what "eau de gloire" smells like to get an idea what you're deserting Irish Tweed for...
E. Tage Larsen

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:14 pm

Dear cscottmax.

I too am a one cologne man of the Green Irish Tweed variety. I believe I took to the bottle about 8 years ago, after a mention in Town&Country. Ten years is quite impressive. I have no intention of differing in my love of the scent even though it's become more difficult to find in New York now that the Creed stores have disappeared and Barney's no longer stocks it.

It's comforting that Cary Grant used to wear it, which is never a bad polestar. Some of the other scents mentioned here have certainly piqued my interest but Creed has been far truer to me over the years than a number of near-Mrs. Larsens.
Prince Barry

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:49 am

Mr Larson, Aedes on Christopher Street stocks the Creed line.

If you would like to carry on the Cary Grant connection, you should try Creed's Selection Verte which was created specially for Mr Grant. It's not cheap though!
cscottmax

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:56 am

dear all,

i have not abandoned "green irish tweed", nor do i have any desire to; you need not begin to bring heresy proceedings against me. there is just really one ologne for me (despite my ending a sentence with a prpostion) to me, everyihing elsie is a flash in the pan compared to "tweed". but at times, one does wish to go a little crazy, within the bounds of reason of course, and thus my interest in "eau de gloiire". I do not forsee myself abandoning the true path, but on occassion, when "tweed" is looking the other way, i'll go for it just go with the controversial scent to start a conversation, all the while knowing my heart beats true for the scent of the island so deep in my psyche.

paying homage to st. patraig,
c. scott
E. Tage Larsen

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Dear Barry,

Thank you for your help and my near certain ruin. I look forward to sourcing the store and sniffing the wares.

As for Mr. Scott's wayward nose, the less said about those proposed indiscretions probably the better. I wish him well in his dalliance and feel confident that the Tweed will quickly find him out but inevitably forgive.
iammatt

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:09 pm

A new favorite for me is "Angeliques Sous la Pluie". I think that it is a perfect scent for spring through autumn. It is interesting and complex without being overbearing in the least.
uppercase

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:49 pm

iammatt wrote:A new favorite for me is "Angeliques Sous la Pluie". I think that it is a perfect scent for spring through autumn. It is interesting and complex without being overbearing in the least.
Who makes this, iammatt?
T4phage

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:10 pm

uppercase wrote:
iammatt wrote:A new favorite for me is "Angeliques Sous la Pluie". I think that it is a perfect scent for spring through autumn. It is interesting and complex without being overbearing in the least.
Who makes this, iammatt?
Fredric Malle's Edition de Parfums. I like their Cologne Birgarade and L'eau d'Hiver.
iammatt

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:15 pm

T4phage wrote:
uppercase wrote:
Who makes this, iammatt?
Fredric Malle's Edition de Parfums. I like their Cologne Birgarade and L'eau d'Hiver.
I also purchased l'Eau d'Hiver. Interestingly, all three of these scents, I believe, were created by the same perfumeur. I really like the Bigarade (I actually preferred the slightly stronger Bigarade Concentree) as well, but I was looking for something that was specifically non-citrus.

For women, their Carnal Flower is the best scent that I have ever smelled.
T4phage

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:30 pm

iammatt wrote:
T4phage wrote:
uppercase wrote: Who makes this, iammatt?
I also purchased l'Eau d'Hiver. Interestingly, all three of these scents, I believe, were created by the same perfumeur. I really like the Bigarade (I actually preferred the slightly stronger Bigarade Concentree) as well, but I was looking for something that was specifically non-citrus.

For women, their Carnal Flower is the best scent that I have ever smelled.
I didn't like the way the Concentree developed on my skin, the cardamon became quite prominent. I believe the perfumer's last name was Ellena (?). He went off on his own and started The Different Company, and I have another one of his creations: Divine Bergamot.

btw. I agree with the above posters who said that Eau d'Glorie is wonderful!
Prince Barry

Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:46 am

jean Claude Ellena is his name. He is also the in-house perfumer for Hermes, he created their latest scent Terre d'Hermes.

My favourite of the Malle repertoir is Musc Ravageur.

Mr Larsen, did you manage to visit Aedes?
Godfrey S.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:11 am

I have always rather liked RL Polo (popularly called 'Polo Green'). I feel that the aftershave leaves me feeling cleaner than other products.
Arpey

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:16 pm

Zizanie (by Fragonard)
  • Information