Wet shaving

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Johnny Canncuk

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:11 am

I'm twenty one years old and have used a straight razor, lather bowl and brush for the past three years. I began shaving by borrowing disposable blades from my father then buying my own. However I few years ago I began to go to a new barber, a rather old Italian fellow who always would shave the very base of my neck with a straight razor. It shaved it so very close and felt so very nice that I began paying for a shave and a haircut every month (close to CAN$ 30 so not really two bits). I soon decided to try shaving this way at home. I received a lovely brush and lather bowl from my mother for Christmas and then purchased an Edelweiss razor by H. Boker & co for $40 from Tom the Barber. It seems to be quite old but is quality German work and stays very sharp. I must say that the fist few times I used it I did get a couple of small scratches and cuts - most of them on the tip of my chin and upper lip. Now it has been three years and using the straight razor is very natural for me - I no longer have my sink turn red after using it! I don't shave everyday day - when freshly shaved and pink I look as though I'm twelve years old so I try to keep a few days stubble about - but I do shave twice a week and using my straight razor is a joy. There really is nothing like hot soap on your face and the kiss of a keen blade - it just takes a bit of practice.
Mercier

Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:57 pm

I have been an advocate of wet shaving since as I youth I suffered from achne following my first "electric shave". That was fourty years ago and I now wish to give a straight, "cut throat" razor a trial. My questions are, where do I purchase one (UK) and are there any issues with selecting said item. :D
EGAF

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:34 am

My questions are, where do I purchase one (UK) and are there any issues with selecting said item.
I know Taylors of Old Bond St has a selection of Dovo straight razors, which have an excellent reputation. I just bought my very first straight razor, a Thiers-Issard, and have had a few ginger goes with it. It still makes me a little nervous...
As far as issues in selecting a razor, I am still a novice. I purchased a 5/8th blade for my moderate-growth beard. A heavier beard may require a larger blade. I went with a hollow, singing blade because of its aesthetic qualities and in spite of being somewhat less forgiving. Best of luck!
Dr T

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Another place to try is Truefitt and Hill in St James - Nino im sure will lather you up and let you try some razors in the shop. Ive had two shaves in this shop and can honestly say its the next best thing to getting a tax rebate - sheer bliss.
robert_n

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:37 am

http://www.shavemac.com/Shaving-Brushes/our-powerfully

For what it's worth, I have shaved daily with a straight razor for several decades now. For my particularly wiry hair, the Shavemac brush is ideal. Very stiff for a silver-tip.
robert_n

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:31 pm

http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html

Another good site for traditional wet shavers.
pear

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm

I've been wet shaving with brush, soap and safety razor for the last four or so years. That is pretty much when I started shaving on a daily basis.

More than anything it's become a nice morning ritual where it actually feels odd not doing it.
Last edited by pear on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frederic Leighton

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:33 am

robert_n wrote:For what it's worth, I have shaved daily with a straight razor for several decades now. For my particularly wiry hair, the Shavemac brush is ideal. Very stiff for a silver-tip.
I've been very loyal to Simpson's Wee Scot :D a minuscule brush in 'best badger'. It still carries enough lather for three passes, if you know your soap. Simpson's past seems a perfect match for the LL:
Alexander Simpson started making shaving brushes in the East End of London in 1919. He soon built up the business and in 1924, moved to Clapham where he established an award-winning reputation for his shaving brushes. In 1941, following the loss of his factory in the blitz, Mr Simpson moved his business to the West Country. In 2008 Progress Vulfix purchased the company and continues the tradition of making the world's finest brushes entirely by hand, using the same techniques which have not changed since the firm was founded.
  • Information