Perfumes

Discuss travel, watches, gastronomy, wines, boats and all other aspects of the Elegant life
Prince Barry

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:01 pm

Parishow, it is indeed a remarkable fragrance..

I was going to post a link to it directly, but the link appeared ridiculously long after I posted it.

Here is a link to just the shop, click on the pictures of perfume bottles, then click on Parfum d'Empire, next click on Eau de Gloire.

http://www.lessenteurs.com
dopey

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:10 pm

uppercase wrote:On the related subject of cross over use of perfumes, from women's to men's.

I recently found an interesting perfume - George Sand by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier and found it very nice for the Winter.

It was sold in the men's section of the retail shop but I later found the perfume listed as a woman's perfume on the net and indeed, on reflection, it could be considered rather feminine, though beautiful and heady, and this very feature makes it unusual and attractive though in small doses.

Just where should men drawn the line in terms of straying into women's territory?
Forgive me, uppercase, if I am pointing out something you already know, but your post contains something of a literary pun. GEORGE Sand, despite the name, was a FEMALE author. She was born Lucile Dupon at the beginning of the 19th Century and was something of a cross-dresser. Apparently, the perfume of the same name is equally flexible.
andrei67

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:01 am

dopey wrote: She was born Lucile Dupon at the beginning of the 19th Century and was something of a cross-dresser
In Russian cultural and literature tradition she was more referred as Aurore Dudevant - a combination of her other Christian name and title.
rjman

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:27 am

andrei67 wrote:
dopey wrote: She was born Lucile Dupon at the beginning of the 19th Century and was something of a cross-dresser
In Russian cultural and literature tradition she was more referred as Aurore Dudevant - a combination of her other Christian name and title.
Born Amandine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin, later Baronne Dudevant. My impression has been that she was known as Aurore Dudevant when not under the name Georges Sand. Certainly, that was what she was called in 1990's very entertaining Impromptu with Judy Davis, Mandy Patimkin, Julian Sands and Hugh Grant. I think you would like it, tovarics.
uppercase

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Ha!

I thought that George's picture on the bottle, what with the flowers in the long hair was a little bit suspect.
:wink:
Parishow

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:48 pm

[quote="alden"]Here are a few tips for tasteful and masculine fragrances:

Spring/Summer

Eau Imperiale, Eau du Coq, Vetiver from Guerlain
Vetiver,Cologne Sologne from Patricia de Nicolai
Eau de Quinine, Wellington from Geo Trumper
Blenheim Bouquet, Duoro from Penhaligon’s
Grain de plaisir, Racine from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

Fall/Winter

Tabac Blond from Caron
Knize 10 from Knize
Habit Rouge from Guerlain
Parfum d’Habit, Iris Bleu Gris from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
Spanish Leather from Geo Trumper

Thank you all for for expanding my grooming education, I feel at times, this had been a college of one and I am so gratful for all your imputs and knowledge.

Have a perfum question, you talk about wearing various perfum/scents for seasons, well in Los Angeles we only have one season - BROWN, but my question is it seems many of you change your scents during the day - one for daytime and another for evening.
The question is: do you wear light in the day and heaver at evening time? Is it like drinking wine or eating chesse, light at the start of a meal and stronger as it progress's.?

I think I'd like to try to vary my scent and just wanted to know how one does it.

Thank you all in advance, this has been a wonderful journey
Incroyable

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:51 pm

I think they should make a scent called George Eliot.

Or simply Colette. Perhaps Evelyn Waugh.
tattersall007

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:17 pm

Incroyable wrote:I think they should make a scent called George Eliot.

I can see it now: "Evelyn Waugh ... for Vile Bodies"
rjman

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:51 pm

tattersall007 wrote:
Incroyable wrote:I think they should make a scent called George Eliot.
I can see it now: "Evelyn Waugh ... for Vile Bodies"
Then they will launch a diffusion-range perfume called Ew.
Prince Barry

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:11 am

Parishow, we have recently had a discussion about when and where to wear perfumes on my 'home board'. I am one of the 'perfumistas' who always wears whatever scent, whenever.

Incroyable, I seem tom recall that a perfume company in France, called Histoire des Parfums (I think), brought out a whole line of perfume inspired my historical figures, Collette was one of them. The others included Marquis de Sade and Casanova.
Incroyable

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:28 am

I can sense this Vile Bodies will prove popular with the ironic set.

As for Marquis de Sade, I can imagine what that has notes of. Perhaps, as an interesting muse, they should include the Comtesse de Castiglione.
iammatt

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:52 pm

Does anybody have experience with "Le Dandy" by d'Orsay?
Prince Barry

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:31 am

Le Dandy is a wonderful scent, ideal for Spring/Summer. It has notes of cognac and tobacco.......what more could a gentleman want?

Here is a link to some reviews............

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120971.html
Incroyable

Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:12 am

Speaking of d'Orsay, Nicholas Foulkes notes that the Comte d'Orsay used to dip his silk watch fob into a bottle of Houbigant scent.
cscottmax

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:52 am

i've always liked to wear a certain distinctive cologne on a consistent basis. something that people quickly and naturally equate with me. I'm inly 31 now, but for about 10 years now, my signature scent has been "green irish tweed" by creed. people in my work situation quickly and accurately recognise it as mine.

however, of late, i've been interested in "eau de gloire", the famed cologne of napoleon. it is an interesting scent, complicated and disticntive, without overpowering those around you.

a good gentleman's cologne should stand up when a lady enters the room, acknowledge her existence, nod its head in respect of her, and then sit back down withought overpowering her and others.
  • Information