Silk Knots

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
kellyc34

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:45 am

What are LL members' opinions on silk knots? I feel that they can be an economical alternative to cufflinks. Their variety combned with their low cost means that it would be possible to accumulate a relatively large collection to go with almost any suit, shirt, tie combination. Do others agree or are knots a (relatively) modern abhoration?
Pagoda

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:53 am

The silk knots you usually find are actually made of elastic -- and usually supplied with new shirts, a use they are very well suited for. Some people use them as a cheap way of introducing a larger variety of colours to their dress, but I would prefer a few decent cufflinks to scores of colourful knots.

But, as always, this is a very subjective view of the world.
alden

Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:19 am

kellyc34

Charvet has a lovely selection of silk knots at their stores in Paris. I usually wear button cuffs but there is a collection of silk knots in my drawer. When I wore French cuffs more often, I preferred silk knots to cufflinks for they are neither heavy nor cumbersome. My one word of advice would be to go easy on the colors: navy blue, bordeaux, French blue etc

Cheers

Michael
Mark Seitelman

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

I think that "silk" knots are a fairly recent development. I do not recall seeing silk knots in any films from the 20's to 50's. Men wore gold cufflinks.

I first recall seeing them on a professor in 1979.

It is interesting that silk knots are a bit of throwback to the origin of the cufflink. Prior to the metal cufflink, cuffs would be closed with string.

It is also interesting that one of the classic cufflinks, the knot by Jean Schulmberger for Tiffany, is basically a silk knot rendered in gold.

Some shirtmakers use them as part of the presentation of a freshly made and folded shirt. It looks better than a disposable plastic button. Oxxford uses navy ones, and I have a drawer full of identical navy knots! :?

They can be worn with with suits in our more casual times. Although they can be worn with suits, I would say that they are best for sportscoats and sports suits. For regular business suits and for serious meetings and social occasions, wear gold or silver.

Good luck.
Cufflink79

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Silk knots can add a nice touch to a wardrobe, I wouldn't make silk knots an exclusive part of my cuff link collection but they do come in handy when wearing a blue blazer. Meaning you can add some color alongside the brass buttons.

I remember first seeing silk knots in the early 90s in a haberdashery book from the Chic Simple series entitled "Shirt & Tie".

Below is a story I did on cuff links back in the spring of 2009.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IKiIdbzP5k

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
Jordan Marc

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:46 pm

kellyc34, the shortcoming of silk knots are twofold: they're undersized for foldback cuffs, and they're difficult to put in and take out unless you master the art of rolling the knots just so to avoid abrading the handmade buttonholes on bespoke shirts. Blame it on the elastic connectors.

Double-sided cufflinks, whether of vintage or contemporary make, are far more elegant to wear. Balanced in terms of design, these are better understood in the United Kingdom and on the Continent than in America, which has a peculiar penchant for single-sided cufflinks with a toggle closure. Somewhere on the LL forum I once stated that toggle closures always reminded me of the underside of the Brooklyn Bridge. Ass ugly.

JMB
storeynicholas

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:05 am

Doesn't it all depend on how much shirt cuff you show?! :D
NJS
Jordan Marc

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 am

Not really, Nicholas. Double-sided cufflinks should strike a balance with the depth of the shirt cuffs. If the depth of the cuff is relatively shallow and the buttonholes are on center, chances are a quarter-inch of cuff is all that will be exposed beyond the end of a coat sleeve when standing. Even though the cufflinks
won't be seen at all, they should be relatively small in size. Whether round or oval, square or octagonal,
rectangular or cast in the form of animal heads, only the wearer knows.

On the other hand, if the depth of the cuff is deeper and the buttonholes are shifted forward, say, in the style of Turnbull & Asser shirts, it's a good bet three-eights to a half-inch of cuff will be exposed and a
bystander will catch a glimpse of the cufflinks, which may be a wee bit larger in size.

In short, it's a balancing act between the size of the man or woman wearing the links and his or her taste
in cuff jewellery.

JMB
Mark Seitelman

Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Jordan Marc wrote:kellyc34, the shortcoming of silk knots are twofold: they're undersized for foldback cuffs, and they're difficult to put in and take out unless you master the art of rolling the knots just so to avoid abrading the handmade buttonholes on bespoke shirts. Blame it on the elastic connectors.

Double-sided cufflinks, whether of vintage or contemporary make, are far more elegant to wear. Balanced in terms of design, these are better understood in the United Kingdom and on the Continent than in America, which has a peculiar penchant for single-sided cufflinks with a toggle closure. Somewhere on the LL forum I once stated that toggle closures always reminded me of the underside of the Brooklyn Bridge. Ass ugly.

JMB

Unfortunately, many shirts have buttonholes which are too small for either double sided links or silk knots. Therefore, the too small buttonhole is suited for the dreaded push-through cufflink with the toggle closure.

This can be so even with MTM and bespoke unless you specify a larger buttonhole when ordering.
Gruto

Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I find (navy blue) silk knots to be very versatile, and I prefer them with french cuffs for day wear. Often metal and pearl cufflinks have a gleam of vanity, though I guess it depends on the setting and your age. The older you are the more entitled you are to cufflinks :)
kellyc34

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Gruto wrote:I find (navy blue) silk knots to be very versatile, and I prefer them with french cuffs for day wear. Often metal and pearl cufflinks have a gleam of vanity, though I guess it depends on the setting and your age. The older you are the more entitled you are to cufflinks :)
I agree completely. As a young man I think I could pull off silk knots (even multi-coloured knots) more easily than I could cufflinks. For somebody my age any kind of cufflink other than something in plain gold or silver can easily look like costume any out of place. I agree that with age comes the ability to pull off more elaborate cufflinks.
JRLT

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:41 pm

I much prefer silk knots for the same reasons as Michael above - I prefer their lightness and their ability to stay out of the way when using a keyboard etc. These advantages are lost when you have two lumps of metal clanking at your wrists. On the less is more principle I also find them aesthetically more pleasing than metal links which can be rather too ostentatious. Also, because of the elastic in their construction, they provide a better closure to the cuff than metal links which join the two parts together but not snugly.

James
J.S. Groot

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Gruto wrote:Often metal and pearl cufflinks have a gleam of vanity [...]
Depends on the model, I think. For example, a button shaped cufflink of metal or mother-of-pearl is very low key in my view and can be worn without the . As soon as we go into stones or more artistic renditions, however, I completely agree with you.

As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a decent pair of double sided, button shaped cufflinks. Any ideas where I can obtain them? They don't have to be magnificently precious. In fact, it would be preferable if they weren't.
kellyc34

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:17 pm

J.S. Groot wrote:
Gruto wrote:Often metal and pearl cufflinks have a gleam of vanity [...]
Depends on the model, I think. For example, a button shaped cufflink of metal or mother-of-pearl is very low key in my view and can be worn without the . As soon as we go into stones or more artistic renditions, however, I completely agree with you.

As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a decent pair of double sided, button shaped cufflinks. Any ideas where I can obtain them? They don't have to be magnificently precious. In fact, it would be preferable if they weren't.
You can find some interesting cufflinks made from buttons joined by thread at http://sebastianandjules.co.uk/. The only problem is that most of the products seem to out of stock. Maybe somebody there could help you. Hope this helps.
shredder

Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:24 am

Cufflinks are an interesting piece of kit because it stirs up so much anxiety in so many people. I believe that it is a regional phenomenon. If the preference is silk knots, then wear them. If cufflinks provoke unpleasant or uncomfortable sentiments, then avoid them. If your priority is convenience and expedience, then wear button cuffs. As for me, I would not be caught dead wearing a pair of leverback / wingback cufflinks. :)
  • Information