Swimwear

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
J.S. Groot

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:31 pm

This following photo from Etutee's article on summer/resort elegance, brought up again a question that has long been nagging me: Where can I get a proper piece of swimwear?

Today, most (if not all) swimwear is limited to board trunks (shudder) of synthetic fabric that sits low on the hips. Does anyone know where one might acquire a pair of high rise swimming trunks preferably (but not necessarily) in cotton?
signorlaine

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 am

I have been thinking about commissioning a pair of high waisted swimming trunks – although I have no idea of what (or where) to ask for. The next is from Etutee's brilliant article (Vol. I No. V (Sept 05') Summer / Resort Part II AA / Esky).

The swimmer wears a pair of ribbed wool knitted swimming trunks.

Knitted swimming trunks? Sounds fairly odd – at least for someone of my age (early thirties). If there's someone in the know please share your wisdom on this.
J.S. Groot

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 pm

signorlaine wrote:I have been thinking about commissioning a pair of high waisted swimming trunks – although I have no idea of what (or where) to ask for.
My problem as well. Surely your standard bespoke tailor does not dabble with swimwear?
Knitted swimming trunks? Sounds fairly odd – at least for someone of my age (early thirties).
Being in my early twenties, so I probably know even less :) To my knowledge, however, in the era before synthetic fabric gained supremacy in swimwear due to it's aquatic advantages, swimwear what usually made of natural fabric that stayed non-transparent when wet, such as jersey, standard cotton cloth or even wool. I would prefer this, because it feels nicer on my skin and also, I admit, for the old school, traditional feel.
marcelo

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 am

A possible source of inspiration from Punch. :D

J.S. Groot

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 am

Now that is a suit for The Penguin :)
Manself

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Yesterday I met with Patrick Grant of Norton & Sons and RTW label E. Tautz. This summer Grant created a pair of knitted jersey swimming trunks (they were made by Corgi in Wales) in navy and white and a Thirties high-waisted style. They didn't go into production but he told me he could make them to order.
alden

Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 am

Yesterday I met with Patrick Grant of Norton & Sons and RTW label E. Tautz. This summer Grant created a pair of knitted jersey swimming trunks (they were made by Corgi in Wales) in navy and white and a Thirties high-waisted style. They didn't go into production but he told me he could make them to order.
I am going to check into this. how many of you are interested in swimwear of this kind?

Michael
J.S. Groot

Mon May 03, 2010 9:23 am

I suppose it goes without saying that I would be highly interested.
signorlaine

Mon May 03, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm also interested.
Milo

Mon May 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I might be interested.
patchmark

Tue May 04, 2010 2:59 pm

I might be interested also
A.Hacking

Wed May 05, 2010 8:57 pm

I would be interested.
carl browne

Thu May 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Gentlemen: As you know I almost always defer to your judgement, but here I must take exception. You must resist this impulse. It can only end badly. My location in Southern California puts me at the center of beach culture (if you can call it that). Let me recommend the following:

http://www.quiksilver.com/home/index.jsp

http://www.sundek.us/2010/index.php

https://www.birdwellbeachbritches.com/ (One of the originals; makes shorts for So Cal lifeguards, very bad website, good product)

http://www.hurley.com/splash.cfm

There must be SOMETHING here that would be suitable.

C
J.S. Groot

Fri May 07, 2010 9:08 am

Thank you for the links Carl, however, none of these companies offer anything different from today's standard swimwear. I still see swim shorts hanging on the hips exposing the lower abdomen and the hipbones in a most unsightly manner; to my eyes at least.
It can only end badly.
Why is this?
carl browne

Fri May 07, 2010 10:57 pm

J.S. Groot:

First, your observations about the websites I posted are correct.

But men have not worn high waisted swimwear in half a century. I could not carry them off without appearing hopelessly eccentric--like an extra in a historical drama. I have no objection to the occasional anachronistic flourish, but this is a little over the top, I think.

My opinion is that dress should be rooted in the past, but very much in the present. Go too far in either direction and you take the risk of looking ridiculous. A safari jacket with jeans and a pair of loafers is a great way to walk the dog on a Saturday morning. A safari jacket with jodhpurs, riding boots and a pith helmet is a theatrical costume. A dinner jacket patterned after something the Duke of Windsor wore in the 1950s might be wonderful, but the three-button, notch lapeled dinner jackets and four-in-hand ties our president and assorted show-business people wear are abominations.

The important thing is understanding what you can carry off, and what you can't. That swimsuit would have me hopelessly out of my depth.

C
  • Information