Any Information on Mr. Boyer's "Black Tie" book?

What you always wanted to know about Elegance, but were afraid to ask!
Cufflink79

Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Does anyone know anything about what is the status of Bruce Boyer's Black Tie book? I guess it was to be released last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Tie-G-Bruce ... 050&sr=1-1

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
India Mail

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 am

Dear Cufflink 79 and other Gentlemen,

I did a quick search on our book purchasing data-base - Bowker's 'Global Books in Print' - and the title's record is brief, but saying the publication date is November 2008, and available for ordering [i.e., not yet published!]. The only seller on Bookfinder, Amazon.ca, says it is published in December 2009, and "Usually ships within 2 to 3 weeks. Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca." at C$14.59.

I think only the publisher, Assouline, can solve the mystery. It does not seem to be Amazon.com's fault. 'Bon Chance' in your correspondence with them. Do keep us informed, please.
Mark Seitelman

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 pm

The publisher has delayed publication. :( The publisher is having some financial difficulty.

This is a pity because the book is set and ready to go to the printers. If anyone has the facility to print and distribute this book, this may be possible.

The good news is that Mr. Boyer has other projects. :D

Mr. Boyer is writing for "The Rake". And he is has finished a coffee table book on Gary Cooper in collaboration with Cooper's daughter, Maria Cooper Janis. It will have material never published before.
Jordan Marc

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:23 pm

From the recent book fair in Germany, reports from my correspondent indicate that the majority of publishers are on the decline. What we may well be witnessing is the end of books as we know them(hardcover and trade paperbacks alike) and the rise of Kindle and tablets of one kind or another in the near-future. Some of these are black-and-white text only devices, while others will include pictures and ads in glorious color--and the reader will be able pick and choose what he wants to read from newspapers and magazines round the world. In other words, print media as we have known it since childhood will morph into electronic media by subscription, replete with ad banners to the left and right. This is a profound change, to say the least, on a par with the advent of the Iphone and Ipod.

Make no mistake, books and newspapers and magazines as we know them will not disappear entirely, but they are going to be a helluva lot more expensive and there will be fewer of them. Whether you haunt the Strand in Manhattan for treasures, or the bookstalls along the Seine, or library sales, fill your bookshelves with goodies. Handing a book to a child is a gift; handing an electronic gizmo to a kid is mindless.

JMB
dopey

Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:02 pm

I very much enjoyed Mr. Boyer's Astaire book. The photos were wonderful and, while at first blush, the text seemed skimpy and I wondered what value the author had contributed, I quickly realized my error. The introductory essay was better than excellent and not only explained Astaire's style, but also put it in historic and cultural context. The time-line and notes at the end were likewise valuable.

I did not buy Rebel because I did not think the subject interested me, but I would not be surprised if I found myself mistaken after picking up a copy. A pity about Black Tie - If it were to be anything like Astaire, I would probably have enjoyed it. I certainly do hope it eventually makes its way into the world.

On the subject of Assouline, I have recently finished reading The Trench Book by Nick Foulkes. It is highly recommended for the many photos and the excellent and somewhat exhaustive research on a fairly narrow subject. My only regret is that for all of its comprehensiveness and lavish photo reproductions it lacks the equivalent of a birdwatcher's taxonomy where each of the elements a tranch are classified and illustrated with examples of variants and descriptions of the purposes and history of their introduction.

But it is an excellent book and worth adding to any library devoted to men's (or even women's) style.
Bethlehemtown

Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Gentlemen of The Lounge, my great good thanks for enquiring about my "Black Tie" book. I crave your indulgence and patience in an attempt to clear up the mystery as much as I am able. I had heard just a few months ago from the publisher that, while the book was ready for well over a year (I had corrected the galley proofs, photos had been selected, etc), they were unable to publish the volume do to unexplained considerations on their end. I have no definite idea or understanding what those problems may be. I am trying to get a clear answer from them, but they are, you know, French. I may have to find another publisher. I apologize for any misunderstanding which might have accrued from this situation which continues to elude my control. These days, compared to writing, playing the ponies seems like a good solid way to make a living. Yours in sartorial sincerity, Bruce (Boyer)
Mark Seitelman

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:14 pm

dopey wrote: * * * I did not buy Rebel because I did not think the subject interested me, but I would not be surprised if I found myself mistaken after picking up a copy. * * *

I approached "Rebel Style" with some apprehension since I am not a "rebel" type of guy.

However, I was very surprised. It was excellent.

Bruce sets forth a cogent explanation as to why "rebel style" took hold and turned upside down society's conventions about proper dress and manners. Indeed, "rebel style" has had a greater influence than "Astaire style".
alden

Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Dear Bruce,

You’re a hot tamale, a turkey dinner, Ovaltine, broccoli, a Waldorf salad wrapped in cellophane, placed in a Bendel bonnet and left on a summer night in Spain at the National Gallery.

(You may have to be over 50 years of age to decipher the above, but rest assured it is a compliment and one that is not exaggerated.)

Best of luck with the new book, I look forward to reading "Black Tie" very much.

Cheers,

Michael
shredder

Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:22 pm

NJS, many thanks for the link, as the allusion went straight over my head! :lol:

Bruce, just to be fair, I think that Prosper's financial situation arising from the current market downturn is at the root of the 'unexplained' delay rather than something to do with you or your work. I look forward to reading it in due course.

s
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 pm

I obviously spent far too much time listening to Hubert Gregg's excellent BBC Radio 2 programme Thanks for the Memory :D As well as the writer of the Lyrics to the 1946 song Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner, his German was so good that he broadcast British propaganda to Germany in WWII and Hitler put him on a hit-list for German traitors! http://www.jilldaniels.com/MAYBE-ITS-BE ... NDONER.htm

I add my good wishes for the eventual publication of the book and think it rather 'off' (especially for a publisher of that calibre), to announce a publication and then fail to deliver.
NJS
Last edited by storeynicholas on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alden

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:06 pm

NJS

If Cole Porter and Noel Coward were required reading in our schools, the world might be a more elegant place to live..it most certainly would be more fun.

(OK...add Ian Fleming to the list. By the way what would the definitive list be..?)

Cheers

Michael
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:39 pm

alden wrote:NJS

If Cole Porter and Noel Coward were required reading in our schools, the world might be a more elegant place to live..it most certainly would be more fun.

(OK...add Ian Fleming to the list. By the way what would the definitive list be..?)

Cheers

Michael
I don't think think that I have ever faced a shorter, or more testing, question; although you have come close before. However, the results might Shanghai the thread, so I'll start another. However, before I leave this one, I might just add that there must be a contract for publication of the book. It may, or may not, specify a publication date. If it does not, presumably the governing law of the contract would require publication within a reasonable time of the delivery of the script and illustrations and a letter from lawyers, qualified in the jurisdiction governing the contract, might bring some fruit.
NJS.
  • Information